Going to ground and combat tactics.

Vince Black

Tell me if this is legal or am I interpreting this incorrectly. I have a squad of marines/scouts and they go to ground to get a cover save, they are now effectively pinned but I manage to save a model or 2 against low AP weaponry. I decide to use my combat tactics to fail my morale test so they immediately get up and fall back. Beginning of my turn because of ATSKNF they rally and act normally effectively getting around the pinning?

I thought of this with my cloaked scouts when they get hit by a bunch of plasma or battle cannon etc...

Now the book states that, "Whilst it has gone to ground the unit may do nothing of its own volition, but will react normally if affected by enemy actions (for example, it will take morale tests as normal)."

Now I feel that since it can't do anything because it can't act on its own volition so it can't decide to use combat tactics to fall back but the part about acting normally to enemy actions throws me off.

Dumb question on the same line of thinking:

Can I G2G whenever I wish? Even if I'm not being shot at?

No, but you can do so when shots come in (I am pretty sure you have to declair it before they roll to hit). So I dont see any advantage to declairing it when your not being shot at.

Remeber however that ATSKNF only lets you get around being at half strength. If there are nearby enemies you cannot regroup.

No, but you can do so when shots come in (I am pretty sure you have to declair it before they roll to hit). So I dont see any advantage to declairing it when your not being shot at.

Remeber however that ATSKNF only lets you get around being at half strength. If there are nearby enemies you cannot regroup.

It also lets you automatically regroup, no test to rally I believe.

I believe you only have to declare you are going to ground before you roll armour saves.

.... So I dont see any advantage to declairing it when your not being shot at.

The cheese answer?

I'm facing being assaulted by demons. During their shooting phase, I declare that my unit will G2G even though the demons can't shoot at them. When the demons assault, I choose to fail the morale test and flee. Hopefully I end up >6" from the demons, and I'm allowed to rally next turn. I then turn and blast the ba-jezzus out of them.

This feels cheesy. But would it work?

No, since there is no morale test when a unit that has gone to ground is being assaulted. They just react and fight normally. Oh, being assaulted while gone to ground does do something: The unit will now not recieve any cover bonus (Initiative 10) since it was not prepared to face the attackers. But a unit can not go to ground unless it has been hit and wounded by enemy shooting anyway.

No, since there is no morale test when a unit that has gone to ground is being assaulted. They just react and fight normally. Oh, being assaulted while gone to ground does do something: The unit will now not recieve any cover bonus (Initiative 10) since it was not prepared to face the attackers. But a unit can not go to ground unless it has been hit and wounded by enemy shooting anyway.

I think you are mixing 4th and 5th rules. The cover bonus is that attackers fight at initiative 1, not that the defenders have initiative 10. But yes, they lose that advantage.

RoV

Archived