Regrouping clarification

FF151

Hey Guys,

I am back, I have come across a debate with someone online regarding regrouping. I have read, and reread the rules and I think I am correct and want to use the correct rules tonight.

Turn 1 (Opponent's shooting phase)

10 Ork boyz get shot at by the space marines, 4 die. I do a morale test and lose, they immediatley fall back 2D6".

Turn 2 (my movement phase)

Because I still have 60% of my orks, I am able to do a regroup test, which I pass and then can move up to 3" and play them normally

Turn 2 (opponents shooting phase)

2 more of my orks were killed by space marines. (I am now down to 4 orks out of the original unit of 10). I do a morale test and lose, I immediately fall back 2D6"

Turn 3 (my movement phase)

I am not allowed a regroup test because my original unit of 10 is now at 4 (less than 50%), and this unit of 4 orks will continue to fall back till either they die or are run off my table edge. (Essentially they are done for the game especially because their shooting range is only 12")

My question..... Is my explanation correct? OR when you are calculating 50%, is that 50% of what the unit's number was upon deployment? or 50% of what it was when shot at causing it to fall back?

Thanks guys for your support and help!

FF

P.s. I have just painted my first Ork trukk and I have two space marine torsos disembodied and everscerated, it looks extremely cool in person. Am I allowed to show it on these forums even though it is an Ork trukk? If not, I will give you the link to where the pics are hosted, it turned out awesome ^_^

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3796323811_a08bd4efdc.jpg

Ok, here's one pic, the real life models looks much better with their everscerated bowels ;)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2473/3796311119_bee78150cd.jpg

Thanks for clarification on the rule.

FF

Yes, you had it right.

Also.

If the orks had enemy models within 6", then even if they were over 50%, they would still be denied a regroup check (unless assaulted) and would still fall back. This is called shepherding. Useful against marines, as even with ATSKNF, if they have enemy within 6", they don't get the auto regroup.

maybe I'm confused:

if a tac squad is in a rhino and it is wrecked, they take a pinning test or they are pinned. same as would happen for say, eldar. on the next marine or eldar turn the eldar would have to take a test, if they failed they would stay pinned. The marine player does not have to take a test by virtue of being a marine. I thought initially that if an enemy unit was within 6' the marine player would have to take the test, but now that I think about it, maybe I'm wrong...I don't have a BRB with me at work sadly.

if a tac squad is in a rhino and it is wrecked, they take a pinning test or they are pinned. same as would happen for say, eldar. on the next marine or eldar turn the eldar would have to take a test, if they failed they would stay pinned.

There is no such test. If a unit fails a pinning test, it will be pinned (gone to ground) untill the end of their next turn. They cannot end being pinned by passing any sort of test*. They will return to normal when they fail a morale test (e.g. for taking casualties) or are assaulted in combat.

*The Imperial Guard has a special "Order" their officier can issue that can bring a pinned or fleeing unit back to normal during their own shooting phase.

I think the 'auto-recover from pinning' idea is the tactic of marines using Combat Tactics to fall back if they lose men while pinned, thus recovering from the pinning and, with ATSKNF, probably regrouping automatically next turn. This tactic of course leaves the marines worse off than before if there are enemies with in 6" to prevent the regroup.

Archived