Instant Kill and Nids

MechSpacewulf

I went after a Canifex and and nailed him with Moonfang and discovered the hive mind rule that Nids are immune to weapons that double the creatures toughness. The rule for Moonfang does causes instant death on a roll of 6 to wound which I did... i was getting tabled so he gave me the kill for a little moral victory but how should this have actually been played?

Instant Death occurs when the strength is double the toughness. Any instance where someone causes "instant death" like moonfang or a force weapon is treated as if the S was double the T even though it really is not.

So the fex would have simply taken the wound if the save was failed.

In the Tyranid FaQ, they have an erratta for Insta-Death while in Synapse. They ignore Insta-death effects. Unfortunately you would have done 1 wound, but at least the guy was cool.

Edit: Outside of Synapse, it would be quite possible to Insta-Death a Carnifex with various special weapons that can cause Insta-Death regardless of the target's toughness. In synapse range = 1 Wound, Out of Synapse = Dead.

Just for reference, the Carnifex is not a synapse creature. If he was not within range of synapse creature, he would have been subjet to the insta-death rule and would heave perished with your wound.

^This

Carnifexes can operate out of synapse just fine, so some players use them out of synapse and forget that they lose the protection against instant death.

Only weapon I know of that can do it is a GK GM's force weapon does not inflict Instant Death but "Slays outright." That weapon bypasses all rules to negate instant death like Immortal Warrior etc.

Only weapon I know of that can do it is a GK GM's force weapon does not inflict Instant Death but "Slays outright." That weapon bypasses all rules to negate instant death like Immortal Warrior etc.

Eldar: Dire Avengers have Direswords as a seargent upgrade and it bypasses eternal warrior.

Eldar: Dire Avengers have Direswords as a seargent upgrade and it bypasses eternal warrior.

Yeap, though it wont help with the fexes as synaps will still protect from the direswords.

Instant Death occurs when the strength is double the toughness. Any instance where someone causes "instant death" like moonfang or a force weapon is treated as if the S was double the T even though it really is not.

So the fex would have simply taken the wound if the save was failed.

i think this is incorrect, instant death occurs for various reasons, the one which is referenced is double strength. All other things causing instant death do not "count as being twice the toughness", they simply cause ID. Although I might be wrong, :rolleyes:, ultimately it probably doesn't matter to much

And while we're talking Instant death...

Does Khan's ID sword ignore Sammael's ID-proof Adamantine cloak? Again, a case of " 'Instant Death' " versus " instant death "

i dont think capitalization matters, if the cape makes him immune from "instant death" and khans sword causes instant death then he is immune

I am unclear on the exact definition of Instant Death as per the 5th edition rulebook. Does it specifically say that anything with this rule counts as being double toughness of its target? I don't have my 5th ed. on hand.

I used to swear that I couldn't force weapon Tyranid Synapse creatures because of their immunity to instant death.. Recently, however, I've been convinced (by Tyranid players, believe it or not) that I can in fact force weapon a synapse creature because of Page 28, Nids codex: Synapse creatures are "immune to the effects of Instant Death caused by weapons with a strength double the creature's toughness"

All this talk of Instant Death makes me feel like I'm just re-wording what's been discussed, but any clarification would help my group and I out a lot.

-Pho

I am unclear on the exact definition of Instant Death as per the 5th edition rulebook. Does it specifically say that anything with this rule counts as being double toughness of its target? I don't have my 5th ed. on hand.

I used to swear that I couldn't force weapon Tyranid Synapse creatures because of their immunity to instant death.. Recently, however, I've been convinced (by Tyranid players, believe it or not) that I can in fact force weapon a synapse creature because of Page 28, Nids codex: Synapse creatures are "immune to the effects of Instant Death caused by weapons with a strength double the creature's toughness"

All this talk of Instant Death makes me feel like I'm just re-wording what's been discussed, but any clarification would help my group and I out a lot.

-Pho

The Nid FAQ changes it to being immune to all instant death.

Page 28 – The Hive Mind and Synapse Creatures,

second bullet point.

The second sentence should be changed as

follows:

Tyranids within Synapse range as described above

(including the Synapse Creature itself) are not

affected by the Instant Death rule. Note that this

does not apply to Ripper Swarms.

And just a note... You *used* to actually be able to FW a 'nid within synapse range. They *used* to not be Instant Death triggering weapons, but merely 'slew outright'. Which was ruled to not be the same thing. You were selling yourself short, back then, in 4E.

However, as pointed out, all FW (except GKGM's) trigger ID now in 5E.

Archived