Tactica Discussion: Spearhead Deployment

Koremu

We often talk here in Tactica Astartes about the uses of specific unit, but there has been very little discussion about how one plans for specific mission deployment types.

This thread is for a combination of straightforward discussion, suggestions and concepts of army selection focused on Spearhead deployments.

Do you plan at all for Spearhead? Does the odd table-quarters deployment zone and therefore automatic semi-flank from your actual table edge change your gameplan, and if so how?

Do you take advantage of the 'exclusion zone' around units deployed first? What (if any) units do you deploy if going first in Spearhead?

Do you prefer first or second?

This thread may be used as the basis for a Tactica Article, if it's informative enough.

This could be a very good article, providing we can get enough insight..

As for me i use all scout armies, so i try and look at the mission types and how it affects scouts strongest advantages... infiltrate and scout move.

Luckily Spearhead allows for infiltrate as normal, so scouts can be used as automatic flankers, and as they deploy last you can counter your opponents set-up somewhat, i.e deploying snipers with direct LOS to enemy MC's etc.

With your opponent confined to his quarter, we can get multiple arcs of fire, giving us a better chance of working around whatever cover may be on the board... in essence its hard for your oponent to hide his units when he doesnt know which side your coming at him from.

Gc08

I play pretty mobile armies for the most part, fully or mostly mech with bikes and speeders.

I tend to deploy in a manner that pulls my opponent towards my corner of the table with SOME of my forces and then keep a fair portion of them in Reserve to come in from the rest of my long table edge.

Later turns, when reinforcements arrive, allow me to hit the enemy where he's not expecting it and turn the table into a swirling bowl of death, coming in off the other side of my long table edge, or reinforce my forces in my deployment corner and concentrate my killing capability.

I like to go first, and here's my reasoning:

1) I get to pick the best table corner for defense or offense - deployment zone means a lot more in table quarters than in traditional setups in my experience. I've got a better and more flexible terrain Situation, able to decide to be aggressive or defensive as the situation warrants. (S)

2) Since I'm starting with forces in reserve, I get the first chance to do damage to my opponent, minimizing, as best I am able to, the parts of his army that can hurt me, before I take any casualties. This maximizes the Killing power of the units that I have on the table (K)

3) I have first chance to react to his deployment and move into cover or out of LOS if that's the smart move, thus maximizing my ability to enhance Defense (D)

4) I get my reserves more quickly, minimizing the negatives of keeping forces in reserve in the first place. (S and K benefits)

Now, like everything else Killhammer (where I got the S, K, and D from), it works because of my army build, and my playstyle. I'm fast enough to run or concentrate, and mobile enough that I can take objectives just about anywhere on the table.

This sort of deployment wouldn't work for GC08 because he plays scout armies, which have very different deployment considerations and fewer mobility options.

Do you plan at all for Spearhead?

Sure do. I know that in a Spearhead deployment, a large army (Ork Mob) is pressed for space. They're either bunched up and fodder for salvos of pie plates, or leaving things in reserve to come on from the long edge. The former stacks up casualties no matter your scatter, and the latter allows you to pick things off one unit at a time.

Does the odd table-quarters deployment zone and therefore automatic semi-flank from your actual table edge change your gameplan, and if so how?

See above, but also using it to my benefit. If I've got a fast-mover coming in from reserve (and I almost always do), I know I can reach out and touch most anything on the table, given the right armaments. If the opponentis in all-out forward movement mode, I can swing in from the far corner and attack from behind.

Do you take advantage of the 'exclusion zone' around units deployed first? What (if any) units do you deploy if going first in Spearhead?

Which exclusion zone do you refer to? There's already a 12" no-man's-land around the board center that you can't deploy in, so there shouldn't be much more of an exclusion zone there. The exclusion zone is a royal pain in Dawn of War deployment though. Many opponents will crush right up against the board middle line and relegate you to a tiny strip of the remainder.

Do you prefer first or second?

I used to prefer first, but I just read a xenos tactica article that has changed my mind.

Which exclusion zone do you refer to? There's already a 12" no-man's-land around the board center that you can't deploy in, so there shouldn't be much more of an exclusion zone there. The exclusion zone is a royal pain in Dawn of War deployment though. Many opponents will crush right up against the board middle line and relegate you to a tiny strip of the remainder.

The "exclusion zone" I mean is the threat radius of the unit you deploy. Anything with Scout has a vastly exteneded potential area it can hit on turn 1, for example. Storm Scouts and Bike Scouts are the Ur-example.

I tend to play a Land Raider heavy Grey Knight army, and Spear head tends to be a good deployment for my play style as I can fortess up if needed or rush a flank if needed, all depending on terrain and enemy build/unit placement.

In picking which quarter (if I have the choice), I enjoy keeping a piece of large terrain (a ruin, area terrain, or whatever is at hand) and set my forces up for interlocking fields of fire for my heavy hitters. If rushing is the better option, I'll still place a firebase with a clear FoF and place my 'Raiders to sweep either side as needed.

SJ

I know many people who keep troops in reserve so the can blast onto a different table quarter instead of having to bear fire to get there. I usually fan out to the flanks of my opponent under cover and the unleash hell near his deployment, chargin up the middle isn't always he best idea.

One of the things I find with Spearhead is that it invariably results in a push TOWARDS the enemy deployment zone, and the flank I deployed on becomes a dead area. In Annihilation and Capture and Control this is because the enemy deployment zone holds the only objects of interest.

If the objective type is Capture and Control, I tend to place my home objective as close to the centre of the board as possible, compressing the effective battle zone, allowing me to punch directly into the enemy deployment zone and still be in close contact with my home objective.

Depending on the number and location of Objectives, Sieze Ground can become the same type of game.

One of the things I find with Spearhead is that it invariably results in a push TOWARDS the enemy deployment zone, and the flank I deployed on becomes a dead area. In Annihilation and Capture and Control this is because the enemy deployment zone holds the only objects of interest.

If the objective type is Capture and Control, I tend to place my home objective as close to the centre of the board as possible, compressing the effective battle zone, allowing me to punch directly into the enemy deployment zone and still be in close contact with my home objective.

Depending on the number and location of Objectives, Sieze Ground can become the same type of game.

That's an interesting strategy. Most spearhead/capture and control games I've seen or played the objectives are on opposite corners as far away from each other as possible. I find it is difficult to support my camping units with the forward units and vice versa. I may have to try this out in my next capture and control/spearhead game as my army tends to be small but fast and hard hitting (Dark Angels triple wing with a 1:1:1 ratio of DW/RW/PA units)

I tend to keep fast moving units in reserve for spearhead for the same reasons as stated earlier. They make a zone of exclusion that keeps enemies away. If the enemy knows you have melta gun armed bikes (or multi-meltas) they will do their best to keep their tanks away from your board edge or risk losing them. Fast units can also take advantage of a break in their flank (i.e. if their forward units are out pacing the rest of their army your fast units can exploit that break).

That's an interesting strategy. Most spearhead/capture and control games I've seen or played the objectives are on opposite corners as far away from each other as possible. I find it is difficult to support my camping units with the forward units and vice versa. I may have to try this out in my next capture and control/spearhead game as my army tends to be small but fast and hard hitting (Dark Angels triple wing with a 1:1:1 ratio of DW/RW/PA units)

I tend to keep fast moving units in reserve for spearhead for the same reasons as stated earlier. They make a zone of exclusion that keeps enemies away. If the enemy knows you have melta gun armed bikes (or multi-meltas) they will do their best to keep their tanks away from your board edge or risk losing them. Fast units can also take advantage of a break in their flank (i.e. if their forward units are out pacing the rest of their army your fast units can exploit that break).

Agreed, thats an interesting thought. All too often capture and control becomes about two seperate mini battles at opposite ends of the tables with little from the victorious side in either being able to affect the outcome at the other.

I normally play a mech/pod list with several transports (rhinos/razors/LR) and then two or three pods (thinkign 1.5-2k). This seems to allow the latest reserve pod, usually a fairly powerful unit, to turn the tide at either point in the middle/later stages of the game.

I tend to find going first in spearhead is better, particularly against a horde. As mentioned above, they are invariably grouped fairly close together and the first turn of shooting can be pretty effective (vindicators anyone?). In parallel, it allows you the first chance to 'expand' out of your deployment zone and start to take/dominate key flank areas.

As an afterthought, spearhead is one of the better deployment styles and seems to reward both pre-game stratergy as well as positive generalship in game.

I've seen spearhead boil down to two three main tactica:

(1) Tip of the Spearhead. You deploy essentially all of your assets as far forward into the zone, mobile units to the front, and use this as a jump point to run into the opponents forces or objectives in a Blitzkrieg. Think armored wedge with some immobile fire support. You want to go first. Good tactic. This is a great thing for assault terminator / landraider lists. Saw it used to great effect at Ard Boyz to take out an IG tank spam list.

(2) Castle. You deploy in a dense castle from which your firepower reduces the enemy as they move forward (stage 1), accept and blunt his charge (stage 2), and then kill the survivors or late game takes to the objectives (stage 3). You can go first or second. Mediocre tactic. Often tried against Orks or hordes. I used it against a Vulkan/Raider/Termie list and got away with it. I've seen it tried on orks but the problem is surviving stage 2...

(3) Hammer and Anvil. You deploy just your less mobile, high ROF elements in cover in your zone with good fields of fire to be the Anvil. All of your armor and mobile elements remain in reserve and come in from your long edge and flood into the flank of the oppnents deployment zone to be the Hammer. Best tactic. Makes the opponent worry about the flank and to split his fire, react to your changes. Allows you to react or change plans later as units come from reserve. Puts the enemy's long range firebase within your reach quickly. Shiny Rhino does this one well.

Other tactica (less tried):

KLAPP of Thunder. You go second. Line the tip of your deployment with flamer heavy fist heavy PW heavy assault units. Let the opponent / horde charge/run towards you. You counter assault into his front with fire support from non-assault elements. Very high risk, but can be worth it. Like two waves striking into each other. Cancels out his assault bonus. Great for lists with Kantor or Ghazghul.

Flanking Beer Run. You go first or second. Great for fast armor lists such as raven wing / speeder spam (or new IG lists with hellhound variants). Deploy bait or defensive units near your tip, and fast units facing along your "short edge". As your opponent castles or heads toward your deployment turn 1, all of your fast armored units head towards your opposite deployment corner, shooting as they go until they get there. Great for causing opponents to split their forces or react to your splitting your forces. Good tactic against hordes or opponents with no fast movers on the board but have annoying fire bases supporting their assaults (like ShootyFax nid supported assault lists, or Loota-supported ork lists). Need to remember to spread out and turn facings toward the enemy to keep FA saves (unless you are same SA and FA). Can be risky depending on how the opponent can react.

April Showers and Pushing Up Flowers. Using a all-pod or deep strike list or outflanking list. Start with nothing on the board. Flood / Shower on with half your pods on turn 1 to hit into the enemy deployment zone and fix his units in place, and sprinke the rest in as reserves later to support them or to grab or contest objectives. The nastiest most surviveable units have to come in on turn 1, like terminators with heavy flamers, dreads, stern with a libby (force dome). Tacticals or light troops come in last / later / reserves. Risky. Think demon lists. Saw a guy at Ard boyz use this with a Vulkan list, but finished midfield, never got a massacre.

More?

Archived