Measuring Movement /Lame newbie question #2

joeshmoe

Next in my series of lame newbie questions (I have asked many newbie questions so far but i thought it may be good to begin organizing them)

When measuring a units movement, do you just measure the guys in front and scoot the rest up or do you actually measure every mini in the unit?

What about massive horde units?

You should measure every model. Could be important later, such as on the charge determining who is close enough to actually fight.

Now, for hordes, some people get movement trays, so all you do is move the tray and every model moves the appropriate distance,

As has been said ideally you should measure for each (if you use formations you can often work out where every model should be in relation to each other).

However the problem is with large armies such as orks. Now I often play friendly games so we might even use it for all units although keeping the eye out for someone trying to swap a flamer from one side of the unit to the other in addition to the units movement.

Move the 1st model in the unit forward and the last model then place the rest in the middle (if you can in the same kind of positions) you could also move two models to represent the left and right extremes of the unit as well. I use this because seriously when you have 200+ orks movinf forward that can take a long time model by model especially if your time is restricted.

Just be honest if you do this and keep an eye out of opponents if they do this otherwise you get some interesting unit reconfigerations.

Every Single Model is RAW- but in casual play, or under a time limit and the opponent allowing Ill move just the first 2-3 models and the last one, and then place the rest of the unit between these points in approximately the same formation- its not 100% accurate, nor is it RAW- but it makes the game go by alot quicker.

If its something important- like say the meltagunner, Ill measure them to for my opponent if Im planning on using that model- that way they know theres no funny buisness with the model thats hopefully about to ruin their day.

If the unit moving maintains roughly the same configuration at end of the move a vast majority of players won't raise an issue. As in, if a row of infantry moves forward X" measure the first guy & you can feel free to eye-ball/guestimate the rest. It makes the game run much faster and has little to no impact on game play.

Now if moving that same row of infantry may get you into a 12" rapid fire position that's different. It's a bit of a classic cheat to fudge distances when the outcome could be decided by an 1/8" or less. As in, if it looks like some of the models may get into range but not the others it's common courtesy to more precisely measure every move.

So just use a bit of common sense and this won't ever be a problem. -OMG

Archived