Assault

MechSpacewulf

This was pointed out to me a few weeks ago I had no idea about it but have used it to great success since then.

BRB p.41

Multiple Combats

Attacking

In multiple combats, when it is time for a model to attack, th following extra rules apply:

Models that were engaged with just one of the enemy units at the begining of the combat (before any model attacked) must attack that unit.

Models that were engaged with more than one enemy unit at the beginning of combat (before any model attacked) may split their attacks freely between those units. Declare how they are splitting their attacks immediately before rolling to hit

Is this a well known rule that I've just been missing?

I take that to mean 'after the assault move'. which is how I've been playing it. I think it's supposed to solve some of the issues that arise when models are removed over the course of combat at various initiatives and how that could affect who is eligible to attack whom.

I ran into this last night and it kinda hindered me as the person being assaulted. Scenario as follows:

Grey Knight Terminator squad is in CC with a Carnifex during my turn. Im the Grey Knights by the way. At the end of my turn the Carni has one HP left and my turn ends.

During the subsequent assault face a ripper swarm and Genestealer brood jump in on the Terminators. After his initiative attacks my Terminators get to go, BUT since at the beginning of the attack (before attacks) they were only engaged with the Carnifex I only got to attack him.

After reading it over I think we were doing it wrong though. So my question about this rule is this. Were we right or would I get to choose who to swing at since they assaulted me and they were on me but hadnt attacked yet?

I think you should have been able to attack whomever. the language "when it is time for a model to attack" clearly indicates to me that the rule is intended to manage the effects of the initiative steps and that the combat per "at the beginning of combat" means after moves but before any attacks, rather than referring to the actual beginning of the assault phase.

I'd say at the beginning of the combatin your example the GKT were engaged the 'fex, the brood and the swarm. Then the attacks are made and when it's the GKT turn they can attack whomever given the 2" rule.

What the rule is intended to prevent is I think, lets say you had a GKM and regular terminators, so the GM is going at I5. the GM and two terminators are in b2b with the 'fex, and other terminators are in b2b with the genestealers that just charged (but not within 2" of the GM or the 'fex-engaged terminators. If the GM kills the 'fex on his I5 step then the two terminators who were in base to base with the now dead and removed 'fex (and too far away from the stealers) cannot attack the stealers and their attacks are essentially wasted since their only target at the start of the combat (not the start of the phase) is already dead.

http://i25.tinypic.com/21ae2pi.jpg

My understanding is as fallows. Blue is fighting green. Red squad (an ally of blue squad) decides to make it a multiple assult and assults blue to help out their green freinds.. After the move combat starts. During the combat Blue 1 can attack only green squad because he is only in BtB with green. Even though he is with 2" of blues who are btb with red, because he was in btb at the begining it doesnt mater (so if green gets whiped before his initive step blue one doesnt get to attack at all). blue 3 is the same except he can only attack red not green. Blue 2 is BtB with both red and green units so he can split his attacks in whatever way fits his fancy. Blue 4 is not btb with anyone, but is within 2" of models who are, so he can attack red or green at desire.

Mechspacewulf quoted a set of rules that only very rarely get used.

Pyro has it right, and it actually happened in a game of mine (the first time in 109 5th edition games, it's that rare!) recently. Some boyz were in contact with my warwalkers, while others were in contact with Eldrad (one being the klaw nob). Due to poor rolling he died at a higher initiative, and thus the klaw nob couldn't then turn around to attack the war walkers that turn due to this little rule. Simple, once you wrap your mind the right way.

@Veidin: You could've chosen where to put the terminators attacks, as they were in BTB with more than one unit when they got to attack.

Archived