Noob needs advice to counter mechanized lists

Torin27

Hi,

I'm a new 40k Space marine player with a meager experience of under 10 games. I find it hard to play in my gaming club because most (though I'm tempted to say ALL) players here play mechanized 1750 lists.

Usually I run a vanilla SM assaulty list with 2 tactical marines squad with drop pods, 1 dred with drop pod, sniper scout squad, ccw scouts, 3 landspeeders, 1 vindicator, 1 jump pack assault squad with chaplain n captain. Needless to say my troops are getting their asses whipped while being unable to scratch the tanks or monsters I face. I am thinking of revamping my list to counter the countless eldar and SM tanks, and nidzilla lists.

I have in addition, 10 black reach terminators (2 has assault cannons), 11 blood claws, ccw/bp marines (3 PF), 1 land raider crusader/redeemer, 2 rhinos, 1 predator (2 lascannons).

I am thinking of buying 2 Attack bikes and 1 ironclad dread with drop pod so that I have enough anti-tank after adding the LRC and TLLC predator (taking out the vindicator, 1 landspeeder and sniper scouts).

Please tell me if my buy-list is all right for a vanilla SM or SW list, or what else I should also be getting (e.g., one more ironclad for 2 ironclad droppods!). Thanks for looking!

Torin27

in the short term MM bikes and speeders are your best bet for anti-mech, you need to kill them asap in order to get time to deal with the juicy bits inside.

Preds are pretty cheap, a couple would fit well beside the vindy you have..

But the list is only have the job, as a noob your still learning the finer points of 40k strategy.. it will come to you in time, just ask alot of questions, search B&C until your eyes bleed and youll become a good player in no time.

Be prepared to lose some more before you start winning though.

Good luck

Gc08

You might wanna consider replacing those drop pods with rhinos, and putting your tacticals inside.

Predator with lascannon sponsors is an okay anti tank, and a LR redeemer with terminators inside and a multimelta added will be able to take on pretty much anything. You should add more mech to your list, it's just how the games are being played in 5th.

As for really efficient anti tank, your best bets are land speeders with multimeltas & heavy flamers, attack bikes with multimeltas, and drop podded sternguard with combimeltas. They work well in conjunction with a vindicator, because the vindi will tend to draw a lot of fire, allowing your speeders and bikes to easily close into the melta range.

Hi,

Many thanks for all your valuable advice :D I really appreciate them!

I have 2 (1750) lists in mind, taking into account what you've said and working with what I have.

List 1

1 Landraider Crusader, MM (assault squad, PF with captain)

2 landspeeder, MM and HF

2 Attack Bikes with MM

1 Predator, LC Sponsons

Drop pod, Sternguard, 5 combi-melta

Drop pod, Ironclad*

Drop pod, Tac Squad, MG, ML

scout squad, combi-Melta, ccw/bp

List 2

1 Landraider Crusader, MM (assault squad with captain)

2 landspeeder, MM and HF

2 Attack Bikes with MM

1 Predator, LC Sponsons

2 Tac Squads, MM, ML in rhinos

scout squad, combi-Melta, ccw/bp

Sternguard, combi-Melta in rhino

The 2 lists are drafts. Please let me know if I should make any changes. Also, I am deciding between buying an ironclad and a normal dred. Any opinions?

all the advice for how to deal with mech is right on here, but take your game store's environment into consideration when you think about what anti-infantry you'll need once the mech is down. generally dakka-preds are more points efficient versus armor 4+ enemies and vindicators are better at armor 3+. (basically, vindi for MEQ, dakka pred for everything else.)

all the advice for how to deal with mech is right on here, but take your game store's environment into consideration when you think about what anti-infantry you'll need once the mech is down. generally dakka-preds are more points efficient versus armor 4+ enemies and vindicators are better at armor 3+. (basically, vindi for MEQ, dakka pred for everything else.)

If you only plan on shooting armor 4+ enemies, Whirlwinds will do better than Dakkapreds for the same cost.

you should take land speeders over the attack bikes, they can outflank/deepstrike and with their fantastic speed your always under half range. plus you can move over terain better than the bikes can. Also even if they have armour 10 any shot against them isint at the rest of your army. squad of 2 can take a few turns of glancings and missed AT weapons before they pop.

also ive won two games now because of being able to pop a land speeder on an objective to contest also heavy flamer can wipe out most things within a 3" inch radius of an objective

But an attack bike can fire just as fast as a LS- ie after moving 12" and if your moving faster than that with your speeder the bike can turboboost for a better cover save than the speeder will get.

Archived