Do you need a second HQ @ 2500 points

Titan87

Just like the title says, do you need a second HQ at 2500 points? For army wide affect chaplains don't seem that beneficial to me affecting only 1 unit, and for the Librarian's to be effective it needs to be an epistolary and have terminator armor for an invulnerable save making him costly (most expensive loadout put him at 190 points) so is a second HQ necessary. or can that 100+ points be spent better elsewhere?

At 2500 points, you certainly have the room for one - but it isn't manditory.

A Chaplian (while not 'army-wide' in ability) still makes a great support character and a second Captain could certainly help. With the Captain, adding a second Command Squad (if you have a first, that is) can add a second banner to the army for some serious Ld boost.

Libbies don't need Terminator armor to be useful, as they make great support units. If you want them to be principle close-combat fighters, then the Termie armor becomes a requirement.

I'd agree with Bannus. They're not needed but couldn't hurt, especially if you have a nicely balanced army already.

I personally think the poor Chaplain doesn't get the love he used to. I know he got nerfed a bit but think of him more as an ugprade character and not a IC and he'll work out just fine. The ability to reroll hits on the charge can be the difference between getting tarpitted or sweeping through a unit.

I'm not a huge fan of the Librarian, seems like more of a novelty class to me. Not saying its not powerful, but I'd prefer the simpler Captain/Chaplain combo if I was a Loyalists.

what would be the second HQ choice for a pairing with calgar?

I'd say it would depend on the rest of your army, but my gut instinct is a Chaplain with either Assault Terminators, Assault Squad or Vanguard.

would sicarius's abilities really improve an army with calgar that much, as I can choose to pass or fail morale checks with calgar?

Check the wording on that. Not everything that uses your Leadership score is considered a Morale test.

A Librarian is soild for a secondary HQ, I used one in addition to Vulkan in the 'ard boyz semi finals.

I originally took him for the psychic hood to stop Eldar seer councils, but null zone is just stupid good. I laid waste to a demon army because of this power alone combined with bolter fire. Making him re-roll sucessful saves for nearly everything he had irritated him. Null zone also allowed my thunder-hammer terminators to completely waffle stomp 2 mobs of ork nobs plus their attached characters.

So yeah, at 2500+ a Librarian is a good backup HQ. I just left him as the 100point version right out of the book.

100 point librarians are awesome. ICs without retinues are pretty vulnerable in CC nowadays, especially the 2 wound types, and trying to add some scant protection is more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. Keep it cheap, keep it under the radar, let it do it's job and then who cares what happens to it. Chaplain dies after the charge? Not bothered. Librarian dies after null zoning you on a key turn? Not a big deal.

Cheap and cheerful, stays out of CC till it's job is done, and then not a big loss if they die. That's my philosophy.

Archived