drop pod weapon choices

baoh

If you only own one, go with the Storm Bolter. The Deathwind Launcher is a very situational item. If you're planning on switching out, you might want to magnetize and build both.

I own 5, 2x SB & 3x magnetized for either. I'll soon own 9, and will build out 2 of those with SB.

well i think the minimum (at the moment) will be four. then i might add as i go on, if i keep collecting the same army

also i might buy a forge world drop pod with the assault cannons in, but im not sure yet

Stormbolters should be used on 90% of drop pods... that extra 20pts nearly doubles the price of a vehicle whos main benefit is that its... cheap.

But don't forget the flip side to that coin, you're paying for a vehicle that is immobile once it touches the table. Why not get some benefit out of it. Deathwinds give you excellent close anti-infantry support.

I'd only give them to pods I was intending to place in "Fortress" positions. Given that the Drop Pod counts as moving at cruising speed (and therefore cannot fire on the turn it lands), and will be in a very exposed location, it is rarely worthwhile using them for "point" unit pods.

The Deathwind is really only useful when put in a pod that will be dropping Dreadnaughts. A Dread is pretty much immune to its shots, whereas the chances of scattering back onto your own freshly-disembarked troops is just too risky for my tastes.

Now, if you plan to drop the pod EMPTY, I'd consider it worth it. It's a nice, annoying way to soften up squishy hordes deep behind enemy lines (Gaunts, Guardsmen, Fire Warriors, Kroot). You could use it against massed Ork Boyz, but 99% of the time, they'll have a powerklaw, which will bust up the pod pretty easily.

The Pod is BS4, so it can only scatter 8"... if your unit is getting out the other side to use the pod as a breakwater anyway...

Good point. I tend to jump out on the target side and fire out with bolters and assault weapons.

If you are dropping a first turn pod onto a fortress location, mostly you want to drop, deploy and run for position.

Podding Devastators, for example.

The Pod is BS4, so it can only scatter 8"... if your unit is getting out the other side to use the pod as a breakwater anyway...

Good point. I tend to jump out on the target side and fire out with bolters and assault weapons.

If you are dropping a first turn pod onto a fortress location, mostly you want to drop, deploy and run for position.

I've never seen someone pod devastators but it would be interesting.

It's an insurance move against the type of opponent who Reserves everything against a Drop Pod list.

"Oh, you're in reserve? I Pod 4 Multi-Melta Devs, a S5 Large Blast and a Dreadnought onto a hill/near a building. Everything has cover and a good line of sight to a BIG section of your table edge."

and then after your opponent spends however long digging that lot out of its hole, the game will be nearly over and he won't have enough time and resources left to take down all your scoring units.

It's an insurance move against the type of opponent who Reserves everything against a Drop Pod list.

"Oh, you're in reserve? I Pod 4 Multi-Melta Devs, a S5 Large Blast and a Dreadnought onto a hill/near a building. Everything has cover and a good line of sight to a BIG section of your table edge."

and then after your opponent spends however long digging that lot out of its hole, the game will be nearly over and he won't have enough time and resources left to take down all your scoring units.

That's very interesting, multi-melta devastators? I love my multi-meltas but I'd never have four in a squad. But I really hope that Long Fangs will be able to take special weapons as well as heavies, that would be fun.

That's very interesting, multi-melta devastators? I love my multi-meltas but I'd never have four in a squad. But I really hope that Long Fangs will be able to take special weapons as well as heavies, that would be fun.

I wouldn't count on LFs being able to take special weapons. Salamander Devs should be able to, but with the ultrafanboism of the codex that got ignored.

As for why 4, I fight a lot of vehicle squadrons or stuff with cover saves (e.g. Turbo Boosting Eldar). 4 shots vs. them is just an attempt to ensure one hits home.

Yeah I'm just not a fan of four multi-meltas in a squad, seems a little too short range firepower for a guy who in my case is 18 points basic and then pays 35 (I think, unsure) for a multi-melta. Hence why I'll be running two meltas and to lascannons.

And with regards to the original question I'd probably do it about 3/4 SB to 1/4 DML if anything.

I routinely take a DP with my Devs or TFC, with the intent that it will be dropped empty from Reserves 90% of the time. But, the reason that I buy it, aside from controlling my first turn drop make-up, is have the option to do precisely what you've described. Although the TFC can't run. :D

For this tactic, I prefer SB armed DPs for the lower cost. I absolutely agree that Deathwind armed DPs combo best with Dreads of any kind. Aside from their obvious horde control, Deathwinds have a MUCH higher threat level in your opponent's mind. So, when I drop one of these, I will proudly proclaim, "This one has a Deathwind". (Something that I might 'forget' to mention in the case of a locator beacon.) You'd be amazed how much fire this pulls from the Dread in some cases. It's almost like buying an extra "wound" for the Dread. And when your opponent is kind enough to pop it, well, now you have a ready-made piece of 4+ cover.

I countinued my steak of relly bad battle decistions by poding my devestator squad next to about 50 AP1 and 2 weapon weilding eldar and a landraider redeemer. My sergeant (who had a combi - melta) blew up one of the eldar vheciles and the redeemer was taken off because the guy owning it was 891 points or so over the limit but my squad was reduced to a single man who then decided to run toward the enemy (because it was planet strike)

in other words, I really need to think things though more

Archived