Assaults and Line of Sight

DuncanSpence

Query came up in a game my son was playing.

My son's Orks slugga'd a unit through a doorway killing 2 models, his opponent removed all of the models that the Orks could see, leaving one model around the corner and out of sight. In the assault phase my son declared an assault on the remaining model. His opponents queried whether he could do this as he had no line of sight. Went through the rule book which contains a list of when you cannot assault and no mention of LOS is made so assumed that it is allowed.

Taking this to the next level, if I have a unit on one side of a wall but cannot see any models of a unit on the other side during the shooting phase, may I nip around the corner during the assault phase to get a model or two in base contact and force my opponent to engage with me?

Thoughts?

Duncan

His opponents queried whether he could do this as he had no line of sight.
Yes, you can assault when you don't have LOS.

may I nip around the corner during the assault phase to get a model or two in base contact and force my opponent to engage with me?
Only if the corner is impassable terrain. Otherwise, you must take the difficult terrain check to go through the ruin, suffering all the inherent penalties for it. You must always take the shortest route (though not necessarily straight line), and as infantry can move through difficult terrain, that would be the shortest route. As noted in the book, the only time you can go around (ie, not make a bee-line assault) is when impassable terrain, friendly models, and enemy models in units not being assaulted all get in the way.

Archived