Question on fast skimmers & disembarking

I have a dark eldar opponent that says he can disembark units from his raiders after traveling 18" my understanding is that you cannot disembark at any speed above cruising, even if open-topped, fast, skimmer allows you to 'flat out' up to 24".

My understanding of the rules is that 'flat out' for this class of vehicle is 12.1" to 24"

Is that correct, or is there something in the DE codex that allows them the extra movement I don't know about.

Thanks

I could not find anything in the Codex Dark Eldar or the Chapter Approved update just now, so I guess he is simply confused about the different movement rules for fast vehicles in addition to skimmers. If the vehicle moves flat out then the passengers cannot disembark.

Legatus has it right, if a vehicle is moving flat out then no passengers can disembark (or embark). Now for all vehicles, moving between 6-12" is considered cruising speed, while moving flat out is 12-18" if the vehicle isn't a skimmer, or 12-24" if it is a skimmer. No one can get on our off as they are trying to hard not to fall off as the vehicle moves that fast.

The only advantages that open-topped gives a vehicle is that the occupents can assault even after it moves, can disembark/embark from anywhere on the vehicle (as opposed to access points), and that they are less likely to be wounded if it blows up. Disadvantage is that are generally easier to destroy.

Be careful not to use distances, but rather use the 'speed terms' when determining what a vehicle can or can't do when travelling, disembarking, firing etc. Remember that a vehicle following a road at cruising speed (usually 6-12") can travel up to 18", but as it counts as cruising speed passengers can still disembark, embark. We have a very nice city board at our local Games Workshop with such roads that my Rhinos love.

Archived