2vs2

Lo0mis

Played a 2 vs 2 game the other weekend with some friends. We're all pretty new so we did a few things wrong, but there was one BIG issue that I noticed after the fact and I just want to verify if I'm thinking correctly here.

So it was 2 on 2, Orks vs Space Marines. 500pts. each person, and each person had a force org. chart. We (SM) got slaughtered.

Here's what was fielded:

Me

HQ: Captain; power sword, arti. armour, digi weapons, hellfire ammo (i think that was it)

troops1: 10 Tacs; ML, flamer

troops2: scouts (forgot how many) and Tellion; rifles and 1 ML

Teammate

HQ: Captain

Troops1: 10 tacs; ML, flamer

Troops2: 10 tacs; HB, flamer

Orks (don't recall who had what):

2 Shokk Attack guns

1 Weird Boy

1 Warboss w/PK

2 killa cans

(I think)5 Nobs w/ PKs and big choppa's and a Pain Boy

probably ~30 boys

~10 grots

I was thinking about this and the point caps and two force org charts per side really played against us. For under 500pts, there really isnt anything that the orks couldn't field, and we could really only field the requisite 1 HQ and 2 troops each. So it was 4 troops and 2 HQ's vs. 4 troops 4 HQ's and 3 elites. Felt REEEEALY imbalanced.

SO, I'm wondering if this is really how its done, in regards to 2v2 games. I was thinking that when we play again it would need to be 1000pts. each side with one force org chart per SIDE.

I looked through the rulebook and couldn't really find a clear answer in regards to how this is handled...

I believe the answer would be that in a normal mission game type you would use one force chart .

It shouldnt matter how many people are on each side , just the fact that you are indeed playing a " normal mission"

Typically when playing a level as small as 500 points most people use the combat patrol rules. They were in the 4th edition rulebook but removed from the 5th edition. A quick look around online find them for you. Two things to note in these rules are that you can have 0-1 HQ choices and must have at least one troops choice. This might help balance things out next time you play at 500 pts.

I was thinking that when we play again it would need to be 1000pts. each side with one force org chart per SIDE.

That's what I'd recommend, yes. The way I've played 1 vs. 2 and 2 vs. 2 games was normally to give each side a force organisation chart and let the players decide how to fill that. If that means that one player contributes (say) 300 points and the other the remaining 700 in a 1000-point game, that's no big deal, either. We also didn't bother with everyone only playing with their own models, though etiquette was normally that you only used your partner's models if he said it was OK to do so. Usually, this was done to speed up the game :)

IMHO this works much better than making each player use a force organisation chart and then adding two of those together. The only good reason I can think of for doing that, would be a game in which you randomly determines which two players team up, and even then only if you do that after] they make their armies.

I looked through the rulebook and couldn't really find a clear answer in regards to how this is handled...

That's because 40K more or less assumes you have two players in a game. At least 2 vs. 2 is easy to improvise and get a good game from, as opposed to 1 vs. 1 vs. 1, or a four-way free-for-all or something …

Archived