Black Marines

Przemas

After a while I was finally able to spend some time on my marines. Today I`ve started the dreadnought. The whites are done, only some cleanup is needed. Tomorrow I`ll try to do all metallics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Przemas_MMA/dreadn.jpg

Painting after a break was a tad tricky. I had some problems with getting shadwo grey _ matte medium wash consistency right. This resulted in slightly more messy look on the wings and skull but I`ve decided I don`t have time (and will :( ) to correct it (well let`s face it - repaint it).

And here`s an old pic of the unit I did a while back:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Przemas_MMA/btemplar/bt4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Przemas_MMA/btemplar/day1_serg_face_close.jpg

and chaplain conversion:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Przemas_MMA/btemplar/chapla_wip.jpg

That face is probably the best I've seen on a 28mm scale marine. Just brilliant! Also, a question: for your tactical squads and less important minis do you just paint the white areas white and then wash/glaze the shadows into it? I am happy with my method for white, but for rank and file it would take way too long.

yeah these guys are 99% of the way to being templars. although they might be great with a different badge. i hope you at least did that face with those doofy (but incredibly helpful) magnifier goggles because i don't think i could even perceive a lot of those marks with just my naked eye...

Glad you like those :P

At first they were intended to be Black Templars . But then I`ve noticed 2 things - first of all I don`t like the black crosses. I`ll rather do red to add some color to the scheme. Also , as BT are organized differently, they don`t have arrows on shoulder pads to mark tactical squads (I`ve used marines from AoBR which have those already).

@Ashen-Shugar: I basecoat white areas with P3 Frostbite / Space wolves grey (depending which one I have at hand - they`re very similar). Then I wash them them with Shadow grey with just a drop of matte medium to add some "body" to the wash. Then they`re highlighted with white.

@Terminatorinhell: yup, the head is from maxmini

@Iron Phoenix: well, I wish I could use those magnifier goggles... my eyes are a tad weird and I have enormous trouble with using them.

At first they were intended to be Black Templars . But then I`ve noticed 2 things - first of all I don`t like the black crosses. I`ll rather do red to add some color to the scheme. Also , as BT are organized differently, they don`t have arrows on shoulder pads to mark tactical squads (I`ve used marines from AoBR which have those already).

First of all your Marines look amazing with very crisp painting and I agree that the face is just stunning. Secondly, no Black Templar crusade follows the same colour scheme or organisation. Mine for example don't have white on the inside of the shoulder pads but instead on the trim. Also use white crosses and they aren't all the same style of cross. Plus most of my squads have sergeants due to the inclusion of Crimson Fists like in The Declates Crusade. You could even call them Black Templars but play them using Codex: Space Marines.

Hope the suggestions help with thoughts.

Messanger

did the steel parts on dreadnought. Was unable to do the golds as I`ve lost a pot of scorched brown somewhere (I use it to shade golds). All in all it might be a good thing - today it seems I can`t get my brushwork right. I`ve almost messed one of the completed, white pads as accidently got some drops of black wash on it. Turned it to batte damage .... no a very convincing one....

Oh, and just found one of the pics I did when I was painting the squad and checking in photo editing software whether red crossess will look right:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Przemas_MMA/btemplar/crosses.jpg

whoa - this cross is great. I think I`ll play with it on a piece of paper to check different color combinations. I`ll also need to think what I`ll be able to print as a decal (repeating the same design on bunch of marines by hand definitely is not my type of thing - I`m so happy that there are decals :D ).

got a couple of minutes to paint the melta`s nozzle. I`m quite happy how it turned out (just need to learn how to photography metallics ^_^). At first I was really unsure howto shade those areas. Simplest solutions proved to be the most effective - I`ve simply put it under strong light, checked how and where the shadows and reflections fall and tried to emphasize it.

Let me know what do you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Przemas_MMA/dreadn3.jpg

uhmmm..... no... before you start shooting - not now. I might paint the black circles in the centre but that`s all for now.

It`s all down to my painting attitude - I grow bored with painting one army quickly. Combined with the fact that I tend to spend too much time on individual models it results I have tons of unfinished miniatures.

I want a painted army not a couple of minis so with this army I`m trying a different approach - my goal is to paint each model to a point it looks good on the tabletop and then switch to another. I`ll get back to it after a while (after some games for example, when there will be nothing left do to or when I feel the urge to do so ...) and pick some details.

This way I should get an army faster and I won`t get bored that fast as in such situation I`ll be able to get some fresh model or get back to pick some juicy detail.

So there`s a chance that not only barrels won`t get drilled soon but also that I`ll leave some unpainted parts in the areas that are not easily visible :P . I`ll work on them later.

Archived