Allied DH Inquisitor w/ 2 Mystics and a Targeter

Sonic Para

So I am gearing up for Apoc games now and recently discovered the BoLS solution to deep-striking melta rushes on a titan. The strategy is that you take one or two DH Inquisitors with at least two Mystics in the retinue so that the Inquisitor can pass off the special shooting phase to the titan, ensuring that whatever is trying to get in position to melt your titan will get a face full of Strength D instead.

So, I borrowed a DH codex from a friend so that I can get a total grip on what an allied DH Inquisitor can do for me in Apocalpyse and I came across the Targeter. The rules for the Targeter state that models armed with a Targeter can measure the range to a potential target before choosing who to shoot at. There doesn't seem to be any restriction on when in the shooting phase you may use the Targeter so why not use it to measure range to a certain target and then use the new information to shell it with the rest of your army?

The wording of the rules for the Targeter specifically says "a target" as in a single one so it doesn't seem like you can use it multiple times in a single turn but at a cost of 1 point, even one or two (in case you take two Inquisitors) free range measurements can prove very useful especially in Apocalypse where you have large tables that could potentially allow units to hide from the 96" range of Warhound weapons.

So, is this a dirty trick that is frowned upon or is it a laughably inexpensive, awesome piece of gear?

Yes the targeter can only be used once per turn (pre-firing) by it's owning unit/character.

And yes with 2 Mystics the 'free shot' can be passed to any single friendly unit within 12" of the Inq – presumably including the Titan.

[if I'm reading you right]: Remember however, as the Mystic's power is limited to any unit that deep strikes into play within 4D6" (so a max of 24" then) of the accompanying Inq – as this is well within the Titan's weapon range the targeter isn't really needed, or, if used because the unit enters play beyond the 4D6" then you don't get your 'free' Titan shot anyway.

Apologies, I didn't word my original post very well.

I want to take the Targeter for use during my own shooting phase, not during the special one that the Mystics grant. The plan is to use the Targeters (I'm taking two Inquisitors) to check the range on any two target units I want before I fire anything. Then I can use the measured ranges to make my shooting phase more effective.

This seems to be perfectly legal, I'm just wondering if it is frowned upon by most players.

It's what they're for so have a blast. Technically the targeter is for use in deciding the target for the owning unit/character, so yes some people might well frown upon a unit/model with a 24" max weapon range measuring to say a 30+" target – but there's not much they can do about that really.

Just remember you can't use guess weapons afterwards for obvious reasons.

Just remember you can't use guess weapons afterwards for obvious reasons.

Yes, I noticed that in the rules. Seeing as how I play Space Marines and the only non-5th edition models I would be taking are these Inquisitors with their Mystics, I shouldn't have to worry about that rule, correct? Guess weapons have been eliminated from 40K in 5th edition, according to the BRB.

While a 1pt for a Targeter, an Inquistor's Warrior henchmen all have targeters for free (Vet Guard, Gun-Servitors, and Combat-Servitors all have Targeters). Even Inquisitorial Storm Troops have Targeters for free. Our guys are cool that way. ;)

SJ

That is cool. I was originally only taking the Inquisitors for the Mystics but I had each of them at 34 points and it was bothering me, hence the Targeter.

Am I correct in my thinking about the Guess weapon rule?

"guess" weapons are gone, bug range "G" weapons still exist, and the 5th rulebook makes note of this legacy item. so some might argue that by "guess" the rule would logically apply to barrage (in which you must place the template before measuring, which is still a "guesstimate" but far different from the old guess rules) and that might proclude you from using a number of weapons, though still only 2 in the space marine list (whirlwind and orbital bombardment) that I can think of.

If I recall more recent codexes (codexi?) that have targeters or range finders or whatnot say you are only allowed to fire other weapons with targeters/range finders/whatnot after using one. But like the DH force weapons, this is another advantage of old codex, and is legit untill they update the DH codex (to be honest I want them to scrap DH and WH and make a combined "hunters codex" that also includes Xeno Hunters)

Archived