Question about drop pods and dreads

The Nose

As I did a search trying to find a topic on this discussion, I failed miserably (trying to find under dread, dreadnought, dread shooting, drop pod, drop pod dread, etc).

My question is simple. Can a dread fire it's weapon's when he lands from a drop pod?

According to the rules, the drop pod is a vehicle, so it can't fire when it lands (counts as moving at cruising speed). But, when a dread disembarks, he is a vehicle, so should it count as moving at cruising speed (also, cruising speed is N/A for walkers). Walker's are also treated as infantry in all other aspects, but infantry can fire when disembarking from a drop pod.

Thx in advance for clearing my confusion.

Nose

The Drop Pod has not actually moved in the moevement phase, it (and everything inside of it) has performed a Deep Strike. For balance reasons, GW had to make sure that the Drop Pod itself couldn't actually fire the same turn it has dropped. To achieve this, they include the bit stating that the Drop Pod counts as having moved at cruising speed for the sake of firing weapons. This only affects the Drop Pod.

The model(s) inside the Drop Pod are only subject to the repercussions of a Deep Strike and so can not assault.

A dread can fire out of a Drop Pod

To achieve this, they include the bit stating that the Drop Pod counts as having moved at cruising speed for the sake of firing weapons. This only affects the Drop Pod.

Not quite, ALL deep striking vehicles count as having moved cruising speed, not just drop pods. Dreadnaughts may still fire all their weapons however due to the special rules for walkers, which say they can always fire all their weapons (assuming of course the weapon hasnt been destroyed). This can effect landspeeders, as fast vehicles can only fire 1 weapon (plus defensive weapons) at cruising speeds. Drop pods are not fast vehicles and thus cannot fire any weapons at cruising speed.

For balance reasons, GW had to make sure that the Drop Pod itself couldn't actually fire the same turn it has dropped. To achieve this, they include the bit stating that the Drop Pod counts as having moved at cruising speed for the sake of firing weapons. This only affects the Drop Pod.

It affects all deep stricing vehicles, actually.

But yeah, Walkers can shoot all weapons after having moved. They do not depend on movement distances as other vehicles do.

Archived