Siege Hawks Vanguard WIP

*appears from a warp portal*

Well, I haven't posted here in quite a while, but I thought that since I've started fiddling with my space marines again, I should pop in and post something that I can ACTUALLY post here. :P

So anyway, recently I've gotten bored with working on my guard, so I decided to buy the new Ironclad and some more power armored bodies to fix up my good ol' Siege Hawks company. In a more recent game I tested out some vanguard vets and well, what can I say? Their special rule is tons of fun. So, in order to make use of the FIFTY FREAKING PEGASUS WING BITS that I have in a bag in my closet, I decided to make some 'special' jump packs for them. aaand here they are, still WIP.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/wardagger/LCD21andvanguard007.jpg

Vanguard sarge.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/wardagger/LCD21andvanguard008.jpg

The relic blade I kinda made in a semi-conscious bitz-box binge. So allow me to apologize in advance.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/wardagger/LCD21andvanguard009.jpg

After a bit of green stuffing, the wings should look more in place. But you guys get the idea.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/wardagger/LCD21andvanguard012.jpg

And another vanguard vet with power weapon.

So I have them all built at this point, and even got to test their unpainted tails in battle. They're great so far, but the wings DO get in the way at times when deepstriking. The good news is, the wings keep them at almost exactly 2 inches apart at all times, making blast templates much weaker.

Anyway, C&C appreciated as always.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Very nice wings, but the relic blabe looks to long to really use

Ya, now that I look at the pics, it does seem a lot longer than it does in person. It might just be the camera angle.

As for the wings, they seem to be top heavy, but that's the beauty of plastic. I just glue a penny to the bottom of their bases if I have trouble, but to be honest they never seem to have balancing issues.

Forgotten Soul, your longsword fact is BS. longest recorded combat blade is 60 inches with a 14 inch hilt, and the longest blade outside of Japan is 54 inches with an 18 inch hilt now held in the ducal palace in Venice. the longest single-handed true swords are generally limited to a 30-inch blade or shorter as they are generally thrusting weapons. neither is anywhere close to 2 meters.

I think the sword could be OK if the model were up on rubble a wire or flying post but a shorter one would be much much better. Plus, the codex itself states that relic blades are 2-handed weapons, which no longer necessarily acts in the rules but IMO should... or should be reflected :P.

Forgotten Soul, your longsword fact is BS.

Indeed, a longsword made for you should be about the length from the tip of your middle finger to your elbow or thereabouts if I recall correctly... which is a far cry from two meters. That aside, It's good to see more and more people jumping on the peggywing jump packs, I'm doing the same for my counts as Dante :HQ:

The wings on your models look too high up to my eyes. If that's the look you're looking for then more power to you, but I think they'll look better lowered to just below where the exhaust(?) ports on the backpacks. Personally I think they'd look even better in between the backpack and the back...

Like this

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4920/dscn0513a.th.jpg

anywho, thats my two cents, I look forward to seeing an entire squad like that

Indeed, a longsword made for you should be about the length from the tip of your middle finger to your elbow or thereabouts if I recall correctly... which is a far cry from two meters.

"To know the perfect length of your sword, you shall stand with your sword and dagger drawn, as you see this picture, keeping out straight your dagger arm, drawing back your sword as far as conveniently you can, not opening the elbow joint of your sword arm, and look what you can draw within your dagger, that is the just length of your sword, to be made according to your own stature."

That was George Silver's recommendation for both the one-handed and two-handed swords (at least in blade length; obviously the longsword would demand a larger hilt). The idea there is basically that you want the longest sword you can manage, but "manage" means that you're able to draw your sword and align for a thrust while holding someone at arms' length.

I've always had it as hand to opposite armpit/clavical, but that's from english archer's manuals where the classical mind decided that the draw length and the sword length would be complements and together equal the bow height (also equal to the man's height or armspan). Seems to be fairly close to silver's idea though :P.

We're getting a bit OT, oops, I love the peggy wings for some models (used them on all my dreddies for a time) but i also wish GW would put out a smaller, easily accessible set of wings (in plastic) so that we could get a better range for our guys. the peggies are soooooo big on average marines. second the idea that lower on the backpack would probably fit the model better, but the backpack itself i think looks better the way you've got it here (replacing the vents). Maybe if on the lower-mounted model the vents were replaced with wiring or something...just to not have that odd slice :P.

Well, as far as the relic blade goes, these are space marines we're talking about here. If they can wield a heavy bolter, they can hold one of those beasties. Besides, I imagined that he would holster it on his back VIA mag-clamps rather than from the hip.

but anyway, I see what you guys are saying about the wing position. Unfortunately it just looks...stupid if you lower it on the backpack. It doesn't help that the packs are shaped the way they are, coming over the shoulders to head-height.

I'll buy that a space marine could carry it, maybe even wield it (though power weapons are less about size and more about the energy-field technology). but let's be honest for a moment - he's not sheathing a sword taller than he is :P. It would drag like the world's most awkward wedding train and carve irrigation ditches everywhere he walked :P

maybe even wield it

I dunno. That'd make things mighty awkward for any combat, if you ask me. Can you imagine swinging it? That sword would have to be the most off balanced weapon around. It just seems extremely impractical, even though I like the idea of the sword. Maybe altering it abit so that both of the blades were abit shorter and thus making the sword abit more normal sized.

maybe even wield it

I dunno. That'd make things mighty awkward for any combat, if you ask me. Can you imagine swinging it? That sword would have to be the most off balanced weapon around. It just seems extremely impractical, even though I like the idea of the sword. Maybe altering it abit so that both of the blades were abit shorter and thus making the sword abit more normal sized.

I suppose I could do that, but then again, if you've played FF7 you should understand that physics don't work in fantasy.

And no, physics have practically zero importance in 40k. If you've ever looked at an imperial aircraft you'd agree.

yeah the armor and air units in 400k are totally whack...but that's another story.

I guess what it comes down to is this : how important is it to you if half of the people who look at a model say "wow, that's slightly screwed up" and how many times do you want to tell people off and explain that physics don't matter? If the answers are "not very important" and "constantly," then you're in the clear. Otherwise you might be in for an annoying future with this model.

A quick note on formations - you say keeping them 2 inches apart is great, and that may be true, but they have the same issues as any other thin unit: they would be easy to break up with that same template (just needs 1 kill to break formation and demand regrouping). in addition, assault units tend to have giant bullseyes on them as far as early shooting goes, so the thinne a unit is, the more likely it is to attract fire - fire from units which are probably too far from your main force at the start. Vanguards are a very very expensive screen, so exercise caution when facing shooters.

A quick note on formations - you say keeping them 2 inches apart is great, and that may be true, but they have the same issues as any other thin unit: they would be easy to break up with that same template (just needs 1 kill to break formation and demand regrouping).

welcome to 5th edition, where blast templates don't just wound units under the template. That is the sole reason I do this, because sure, you place the template over my vet sarge in the middle, and it hits, and it wounds, but the guy in the back with the chainsword and boltpistol dies instead. :P

argh it's been so long since i've played!

what's the point in the template then? they were only ever effective for their selection anyway :P

I can see why they would want to limit it (missiles shouldn't logically have an accuracy bonus), but they SHOULD have a natural ability to break formations....

Archived