Most in need of fixing

If you could nominate a single rules issue to be FAQ'ed which would you choose? Which has caused the most argument or confusion in your experience? Alternatively, which highlights the most problematic overall construction problem with the current rules design?

If this isn't exactly the right forum area my apologies, but I couldn't think of a better one.

Personally I would like to see the Gate of Infinity issue clarified officially

What's the issue with Gate? AFAIK it's pretty clear. You make a psychic test and if it succeeds you deep strike anywhere within 24". Am I missing something obvious here?

The issue is weather or not it can be used to leave an assult. And clearing it up would help a great deal.

A short search and a long read has enlightened me as to the hellish debate around GoI out of Combat. If you want my two cents, it's as simple as 'GoI is a non-shooting psychic power and thus can be used while locked in CC." Psychic powers pretty much toss the normal rules out the window once you make that psychic test as far as I'm concerned. Emperor protect us from the coming flame-war. I would certainly like to see a ruling on it, though, as GoI is one of the Librarian powers that most interests me. Aside from the 2nd and 3rd ed codices floating around there needing an update I'd say GoI may very well be the rules issue that most needs fixing.

basic and problematic rule: combat squads and transports. it's on the list with Special issue ammo for things we see asked about weekly or more.

that said, there are a lot of more powerful rules that have open ends (GoI in combat), that cancel each other (rites of battle vs. soulless, Null zone vs. Fortune,...), or seem redundant (telion and cloaks) and that's just from the 2nd most up to date codex (and some DA).

this could be a good list, though - lets just keep adding to it, but please try to keep it on topic and not let it drift into a referendum on any one problem rule - they will all be worth of debate, after all.

I want to see how melta-bombs work against monoliths (a much discussed debate that has to end). One more thing for Necrons is if the Lord (with Orb) is down then what happens with the Orb? Is it in effect for WBB for other units or only for the lord himself?

I sure want to know what happens with GoI. And if two Indepedent Characters join a single squad then if they confer their abilities to eachother as well to the squad (ex. Shrike and Chaplain joining and assault squad).

And if two Indepedent Characters join a single squad then if they confer their abilities to eachother as well to the squad (ex. Shrike and Chaplain joining and assault squad).

Yes, they are one squad.

Fortune vs Null Zone is easy hehe reroll everything :P (although im not sure if thats exactly what fortune is...)

They really need to clarify the GoI, but I'm a strong supporter of being able to use it to leave combat, dual libby lists with sterngard are just too much fun (although not always effective).

Also, clarifications on Valkyries (how the hell are doods supposed to dismbark?) And not only that but also skimmer rules as far as height and altitude goes (I know they have to "land" at the end of the turn, but that means just their base. Can you abuse this? and shoot over a massive impassable building at your whim, I know for sure you can flame any floor you feel like... Then how do valkyries fit into all of this, thanks GW for making a unit that doesnt even have proper rules to go along with the shiny new IG codex.) frustrating...

Lastly, they need to clarify if a flamer guy can use his flamer out of the top hatch of the rhino, even tho it counts as touching a friendly model. Again, I agree with most ppl on this and say that the guy can (he's not a moron right?)

but these are still minor gripes, my game club is too awesome, no one fights or bitches about this kinda stuff, we just ask the older gamers and take it with some salt.

GoI - I'm not really bothered either way what the answer is, just let me play my libby without other people arguing before, during and after the battle.

Flamers and vehicles

Telion and Stealth/Camo cloaks

Melta bombs and monoliths

In that order please!

I believe that the Null zone vs. Fortune isn;t that difficullt. If I am correct you can't reroll a die only once so when both Null zone and Fortune are in effecct the following happens:

Roll saves for the number of wounds caused. Then fortune allows you to reroll all the failed saves. Any of these dice can;t be rerolled because you can only reroll a dice once. Then you reroll all the succesfull saves which also can't be rerolled. Hope this clears things up.

"Yes, they are one squad."

I agree with you but a lot of people think otherwise.

A lot of people are dumb and can't read.

Telion and Stealth/Camo cloaks

Telion does not lose his Stealth when he joins a squad. If he joins a squad of snipers with camo cloaks, they all have 3+ cover in terrain.

If he joins a squad without camo cloaks, he still has a 3+ although the squad does not benefit and retains their 4+ cover saves.

Refer to the wound allocation rules for more help with this one after that point.

I believe that the Null zone vs. Fortune isn;t that difficullt. If I am correct you can't reroll a die only once so when both Null zone and Fortune are in effecct the following happens:

Roll saves for the number of wounds caused. Then fortune allows you to reroll all the failed saves. Any of these dice can;t be rerolled because you can only reroll a dice once. Then you reroll all the succesfull saves which also can't be rerolled. Hope this clears things up.

This is completely correct, you take one set of them and re-roll, and the other set and re-roll.

And on monoliths, I would say that melta-bombs do no get 2D6 to pen, this is because the living metal rule sites both a CC weapon (chainfist) and Melta-weaponry as gaining no bonus. I figured melta-bombs are used as CC attacks, so logically they should follow the rule.

Things I would love sorting are more in the core mechanics that are the root of many arguments my bugbears are:

What is and is not ' On The Table'

When does the game 'Start' is it at deployment or when the player going first starts his first turn?

When does an IC join a squad pregame?

This is important because as it stands any squad deploying with shrike as infiltrators without the infiltrate rule cannot because of the rules for deploying characters and when they count as part of a unit look it up in the BBB its a mess.

Living metal and We'll be back both need overhauls

And my absolute pet hate wargear parity I am absolutly sick of explaining that my Storm Shields, Cyclones, Droppod etc work differently despite having the same name and looking identical to the ones in Codex SM this can take five to fifteen mins pregame and sometimes my oponent still thinks I'm making it up!!

this could be a good list, though - lets just keep adding to it, but please try to keep it on topic and not let it drift into a referendum on any one problem rule - they will all be worth of debate, after all.

I'm looking at you, aekold and gdeathlegion...

state the problem rule sonly, please. We can (and I promise, we have - searchy) discuss them individually in a separate topic. This list could help us Mods refresh our memories and update that grey areas thread, and the rest of the community by reminding all of us which rules we must be sure and check with our opponent on before the game.

Archived