Slipping back down the slope

Rosco151

Well, here's the damage done to the first guy:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Rosco151/IMG_4675.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Rosco151/IMG_4676.jpg

It's not so obvious from the picture, but down the back of the right leg, the missile launcher and on top of the head is kind of greyed out, looks like dust has settled on him.

Moving swiftly on, I put the Mechrite Red coat onto the Sergeant. I think I've sussed the scheme out now, but I'm going to end up with a slightly lighter tone of red, as with the first guy the Mechrite didn't go on right. So far:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Rosco151/IMG_4677.jpg

Get that marine in some quite hot soapy water and scrub with a hard bristled toothbrush... should go some way to sorting out the nasty effect the varnish has left. What it doesn't sort can be easily corrected with fresh paint, then when it's completely dry get your arm muscles working on that can of varnish! for a good 4-5 minutes... quick blast then and should be all good

I like it btw, nice grimey look! whats planned for the base?

edit: drill out the missile lancher too, a detail i see overlooked all the time! the model will look a lot better for it

All sorted on the varnishing now, just to be sure I painted up a couple of spare shoulder pads and made damn dure I shook it up, they turned out fine.

Recovery procedure for that marine is already underway, showing some improvement, hopefully he'll be back in the game soon.

As for drilling out the launcher, that'll have to wait. I'm on a tight budget with all this, and a pin vice is way down the list of priorities. Hence all weapon barrels and so forth will be drilled at a later date.

Anyways, been thinking about some background on the Chapter:

Reapers

A recently formed chapter (their history dates back to the latter half of M37, though as per usual official records of any kind of founding are sketchy at best), the Reapers Chapter is unusual in its apaprent lack of religious dogma or archaic tradition. They still revere the Emperor as any Marine Chapter does, but they do not recognise any other Chapter or their associated Primarch as a spiritual or genetic predecessor. The psychology of the Chapter is more biased toward a militaristic attitude than the quasi-religious order of other Chapters, and an informal attitude is note on the battlefield between line brethren and their commanding officers, at times bordering on insubordination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comm intercept of Reapers 3rd Company, 2nd Squad, while engaging against Orkoid raiders in zero-grav/atmospehere environment in the asteroid belt of the Vargas system, Ganges Star Cluster:

++Pained shout heard over comms, followed by various expletives from Brother Jonias++

Jonias – “I’m hit, leaking atmosphere but injury is light.”

Sgt Cuth – “Then hold your breath and stop whining about it, you’ll last longer. Apothecary! Come over here and check him over. Someone patch that breach before he keels over will you, I could do without humping the dead weight around.”

Apothecary Hone – “Your vitals are fine, the injury will hold but you'll need seeing to later. Why did you call me Cuth? Stop wasting my firing time, the boss wants this shower back into the fight.”

Sgt Cuth – “You stick to your sewing Hone, I’ll make sure my lads are shooting in the right direction, alright?”

++expletive from Apothecary Hone, content marked for follow-up investigation into possible deviancy on the part of Sgt Cuth involving native fauna of Reaper chapter planet in the Nevda system++

Sgt Cuth – “Right then my boys, the eyes of the Emperor are always on us, his favoured sons and all that, so let’s give him a right proper show shall we? I want a piece of that big green bugger lording over that crater there, and I'll happily let you take care of the rest. Move your arses, especially you Jonias, you aren’t getting it easy because of that scratch!”

++Further communication is broken, mostly unreadable shouting from Sgt Cuth and various members of his squad. Shortly thereafter Sgt Cuth berates Brother Jonias for rendering his bolter unserviceable. Brother explains it happened while beating an Ork to death with it after exhausing his ammunition. Sgt Cuth congratulates Brother Jonias on his improvisation but reminds him that’s why they carry knives. Cuth goes on to offer a demonstration the next time Jonias negligently damages his weapon. Transcript ends.++

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the varnishing mishap happened again. Shook it up plenty, gave the Sgt a nice, light spray with the stuff, and once again this junk has dried to form a grey residue all over the model. After searching, I've found plenty of complaints on the internet about this kind of thing happening with the Purity Seal. Looks like a junk product is to blame here, maybe I got a bad can, I don't know, all I know is it's wasted a good few hours of hard work.

Time to go looking for a better product to varnish with, until then I've now got to repair two marines and then I'm leaving any others I paint unvarnished for the near future...

I'm using the Citadel Purity Seal, always used it years ago and never had a problem... Been looking at other brands though.

I did some repair work on the Sgt, and decided to risk another try with the Purity Seal based on some promising results with some spare parts I painted. I suspected that the higher temperature in my garage (plus any fumes from our car) might have affected things. I sprayed outside the front door, in the evening when things were a bit cooler than the 104F daytime, and he turned out just fine:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Rosco151/FinishedSgt4.jpg

Shot at nighttime under the kitchen lights, so not the best example, but overall pretty good. The shade of red isn't quite right due to the repair work, but I think I'll still be proud to field this squad as a chronological record of my return to painting after a few years away!

My next issues are - decals! Tried applying the white skull and tactical symbol from the decal sheet, but the damn things just would NOT go on. They just sat there failing completely to adhere to the surface in anyway whatsoever. Might as well develop some freehand skills, something I never tried before.

Marines look great, let's see some more! I find that usually the first couple sprays from a sealer can that hasn't been used in a while do that... shake for 5 mins and then waste bit of spray on something you dont care about (garbage), then you're good to go. Remember, 2 light coats is better than 1 heavy... always.

About decals, near the bottom of page 1 in this thread I describe a method that works well for me:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...=139202&hl=

Evapilotone asked how I do decals and so I will explain that.

I use microsol and microset for applying the decals. I can't recommend them enough. Your local hobby store should carry them - you should be able to get both for about ten bucks. Microsol makes the decal very soft and flexible. This allows the decal to really lay down and drape iteself on and conform to the surface of the shoulder pad. "Microset prepares the surface with special wetting agents that cut the oils in new paint and convert the adhesive on the back of the decal to a stronger and longer lasting one. The decal's better adhesion to the model prevents tiny air bells from occurring and results in an invisible carrier film or the so called "paint on look." -source

So basically, you apply microsol to the decal and microset to the painted shoulderpad. Then take a microsol-dampened paint brush and slide the decal on to the shoulderpad, then carefully position it. Don't use a dry paint brush, it will wick up all the solution when you're positioning the decal. Positioning the decal once it's on the shoulderpad is a little tricky, but like anything else, it just takes practice. Also, I find that even though the microsol has made the decal very soft, you still need to make some cuts going halfway into the decal before applying it. Use your modelling knife and gently cut a slit or two going about halfway across. WARNING: this means your decal will be very very fragile when you're positioning it with your brush. Be prepared to break a couple decals. But this isn't a problem really, so long as you line the pieces up perfectly.

Let the decal dry at least overnight, and once it's dry apply a coat or two of Testor's dulcote spray. This does a few things. Most importantly it protects the decal and prevents it from being chipped/broken. But also, the flat finish gets rid of that terrible shine that you normally see on decals. This is vital important in giving the decal that painted-on look.

Nice one, I knew I'd seen something about this a while ago, saved me a search there bud!

So should this technique be used prior to any kind of varnishing whatsoever? Will the microsol still work if applying the transfer over Purity Seal, or does it have to be done prior to that?

I feel your pain with the damn purity seal bro, after saying what i did about your model earlier i finished a tactical squad of my own and proceeded to go and spray it. I think i cursed myself or something, the whole squad damn near had to be scrapped... after spraying all models with a good dose of 'flash powerspray' and scrubbing them with a toothbrush like a man possesed i thought i'd sorted it... like hell had i, once they'd dried the nastiness was still very much there!

Not wanting to go on and re-paint the bad parts, i decided to give each model a generous wash of badab black straight from the pot! It saved them for sure... That stuff is made of pure win! i'm seriously contemplating necking a pot down in one :P

anyhow i'm gonig to take a few snaps of this squad and update my wip thread, have a gander

and btw that latest marine you done looks great, can't wait to see more

and... purity seal is definately out!!! i'm never risking it again. it's going to be testors dullcote from now on as i've heard only good things on it

The only thing I've heard with Testors stuff is that it fades to yellow after a few years. Never noticed that happen with my older GW stuff coated in the Purity Seal. That's what the hobby store owner I asked told me anyway, and besides he was out of the clear cote stuff. (not many suppliers for this stuff in LV!).

I gave PS another chance once I'd repainted the Sgt and it worked okay, just made damn sure I'd shaken it up, sprayed upside down first etc...

I think everytime I varnish something, I'll have a sacrificial test piece painted from spare parts to test on first.

Is that wip thread the 'My Works' one Lavaman? Very good stuff, particularly like the Terminator Librarian (great model, want it for my force eventually!).

I just want to thank everyone who's taken the time to comment on what I've done so far, I'm glad I started the thread now as all this is helping to spur me on to get these guys finished and do a good job of it! I'll be taking a break for about three weeks in September (flying to the UK to visit family), but I'm hoping to get two more guys finished by then, time willing.

Looking good so far! Nice red!

Before applying the decals as described previously, paint a layer of clear varnish over the surface and let it dry. This gives a great, smooth surface and helps the decal positioning and setting. After the decal is dry, paint another layer over it all, this protects the decals from wear and tear. Then, finally, bring out your Matte sprat of choice. Voila!

Thanks for the info Desmodus, it's the final step to get these decals on straight and really don't want to screw it up! One question - I do remember years ago putting decals onto my guys and then varnishing over them - this made them crack for some reason? Is that something to watch out for with any of these methods?

And yeah, I'm really happy with the red, didn't want it to be that Blood Angels / Ravens shade, I think I got it just different enough to stand out...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after a three week break, I'm back onto these guys again. Managed to get round to fixing the missile launcher guy who suffered the varnishing mishap, so now have the Sgt and Heavy Weapons marines done. Got the basing sorted, using some nice coarse sand I found at the play park round the corner from us!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Rosco151/Sgtbasedindaylight.jpg

Pic of the Sgt in daylight, I think the red is a shade off compared to how the rest of the squad will be, but I could spend days trying to correct it and only end up ruining the model...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Rosco151/Missilelauncherrepaired.jpg

Missile launcher looking much better now!

any work with purity seal needs to be done as close to "room tempuratre and humidity" in my opinion. i have not reuined but given the models that dusty finish having done my tanks and my metal furioso dread. it did not occur when doing those models and it was a milder day with almost no humidity.

Cyrox - Yeah, I'm particularly happy with the eyes so far, but then I'm going to great pains to make sure they turn out well. I spent about 15 minutes alone on the missile launcher guys eyes because I kept messing up (not a great idea to try and do detail painting after a four mile hike in the hills carrying my 20-pound daughter I guess). It's just skull white then scorpion green, little dot of white in the back corner. Careful use of the Badab Black wash around the edge really makes them pop out from the red.

Arkio - Agreed, I'm finding that the temperature outdoors late afternoon / early evening is working just fine, also taking the precaution of shaking up really well and spraying upside down first to clear any old gunk.

My next guy has a bit more character to him. He's a little trigger happy and uses up way more ammo than anyone else in the squad, usually ends up laying into the enemy with a knife instead. Hopefully he'll be finished tomorrow to show...

Looking good so far mate, very nice red. You could include a UAV in your force by sticking a servitor in it, it could be inside hidden from view as long as the fuselage is big enough to hold one. :)

That's how I explained my unmanned armadillo variant tornado speeder.

Y'know, that's not a half bad idea you got there Doghouse... I could have some fun with that! Consider it stolen! To be honest, the red is getting to be a pain in the ass, I've noticed from working on my third guy that if I get the layer of blood red a little off shade, the ink wash just produces a really obviously different shade altogether. Got to redo the Blood Red stage on this guy now...

Argh, no work done today, practice bleep test for my fitness test on monday, limbs are a little hurty... hate shuttle runs.

And Brother Jonias is completed! Jonias is a little trigger happy, often using his ammunition up way ahead of his other squad members. Sgt Cuth regularly administers penance on Jonias for this, but it hasn't made him change his ways yet. He just enjoys using his knives too much. His favourite is the one he attaches to a frag grenade, a little custom job that he came up with when fighting Orks. Since they're tough enough to shrug off a foot and a half of adamantium blade stuck in their chest, Jonias wanted to see what they'd think when the knife blows them apart. He liked the results.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Rosco151/IMG_5138.jpg

Love the little Grenade/Knife story. Although is that on the model? I don't see it. And I hope he doesn't do it too much, the Chapter's Techmarines would get pissy about wasting materials I'm sure.

Good models

Why Jonias? Is he a Jonas Brothers fanclub member? :P

Sgt Nacho, I can't believe you would even suggest such a thing! The Chaplains are on their way to exact penance from you, perhaps the Librarians should test your soul as well, this could be evidence of taint... 8D Nah, just a random name.

Good spot Mjolnir, I just cut the handle off a knife and glued the blade to the grenade arm from the marine sprue. You can see the loop from the pin on top of the hand..

No new guys finished yet, just wanted to throw something saying thanks to icallitsoda for highlighting that advice and info on the Microsol / Microset stuff. Finally got some today and spent an hour and a half experimenting before putting decals onto the first three guys, and I love it! The decals look like they're painted on it works so well!

Won't bother adding any new pics of the first three with their decals on, i'll only show pics of the new guys with the decals on when they're finished, with a group photo at the end.

Cheers all!

Finally got to round to getting some work done on the squad! Now that I've cleared up all the problems with the colour scheme, varnishing and decals, I can go ahead and batch paint the rest of them. Here's the last seven of the squad with their base coat of Mechrite Red and Chaos Black:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Rosco151/IMG_5242.jpg

Next stage is to get the Blood Red on, then fill in the details. Finish off with Badab Black and Gore Red wash where needed and all done!

Archived