Non-GW Models in a game

Gaeus Marius

I understand that GW does not allow models from another range to be included in army lists for tournement purposes. What about Forge World models, titans specifically? I see them all the time in scenes in the Dex's, and on the website in general. I know they have some sort of product agreement with GW. Why then are their products not allowed in GW sponsored tournements? I'm also wondering about force organization slots that do not have models specified for them ie: the Inquisitorial retinue. Would it not be feasable, and within the rules, to use a model from the Reper miniature line as an Acolyte or Warroir? Is it just a proprietory thing, or are there afficial rules prohibiting the use of non GW models?

At an official event, if you put down a reaper figure, the judges would likely make you remove it. Forgeworld minis are usually allowed, just not forgeworld rules.

What about Forge World models (…) I know they have some sort of product agreement with GW.

More like "are a company that's fully owned by GW", AFAIK.

Why then are their products not allowed in GW sponsored tournements?

My guess is because at a GW tournament, you can expect people to have access to the basic game as published by GW, but not material by what pretends to be another company.

Would it not be feasable, and within the rules, to use a model from the Reper miniature line as an Acolyte or Warroir? Is it just a proprietory thing, or are there afficial rules prohibiting the use of non GW models?

Part of it is probably simply not wanting to allow other manufacturer's models in their own tournaments, because it takes away the illusion that there is no games publisher but Games Workshop — and you'd be amazed at how many people actually seem to believe that. (If they want to keep up the pretence that Forge World is an independent company, they could use that reasoning to disallow those models, too.) The practical part of this is probably that if you're going to ban other companies' models, you have to draw the line somewhere, and the easiest line to draw is at no models at all. Else you'd have to allow, say 5% of your models, or 5% of your points total, or 10 models per army, or whatever, and this gets hard to figure out much faster than a flat "no non-GW models" rule.

Forgeworld is basically a daughter company of GW or if you like its pretty much just its own department. FW is generally not allowed for rules balance issues or taking people by surprise at some tournies, however some will allow them. However you can use a model to represent something in the codex as long as that model is obviously what your using it as, or you explain the counts as. For example I can use Hector rex as an Inq or Inq Lord with storm shield + PW assuming they have access to that in the armoury :D

Actually you can have reaper minis... or parts of them. The staff on my Rune Priest started out on a reaper mini, and some of the ork skull trophies on my figures come from their warlord line.

But the reason they wont let you have GW minis in their tournaments is simple self preservation- they want you to play using their models. Reapers game reps wont let me use my lizardmen in their warlord games, and I wont pay for their armies when I have perfectly viable models of my own. One lady in western montana went so far as to say no GW figures could be in her painting contest for a con- claiming they werent a proper 28mm scale.

Archived