Vulkan He'stan

wizard12

For some stupid reason he cant take any of the above. He must be a pretty angry loner with zero people skills apparently :P

He is a loner - not an angry one - but a loner....as his fluff indicates.

He can take an honor guard, but they are not "Honor Guard" as per Codex: Space Marines. He'Stan has at his disposal all assets of the Salamanders chapter, in relation to his role as Forgefather. It stands to reason he could have an honor guard of attack bikes, dreadnoughts, and apothecaries, if he really wanted.

Put him in a Sternguard Squad with 2 heavy flamers. He boosts them through twin-linkage and giving close combat muscle and durability. And the Sternguard are Veterans, and so have the same stat line as the Command Squad. The only difference is that they won't have FNP.

i think thats right too, Vulkan should be able to take a command squad or honor guard as he can rally any salamanders in his quest.

but at the same time, hes an independent unit....which raises the question....dun dun dun!

Put him in a Sternguard Squad with 2 heavy flamers. He boosts them through twin-linkage and giving close combat muscle and durability. And the Sternguard are Veterans, and so have the same stat line as the Command Squad. The only difference is that they won't have FNP.

That's an option, but they get the buff to the flamers if he is with them or not.

He is great in CC, so I always stick with with a unit of Assault Terminators.

That's an option, but they get the buff to the flamers if he is with them or not.

He is great in CC, so I always stick with with a unit of Assault Terminators.

Well yeah, they do get the buff even when he isn't there. I'm just not a big fan of Land Raiders and don't own any, so although I have TH/SS Terminators it would be impractical to use them because of lack of transports. Hence why I run him with the Sternguard. 3 TL-heavy flamers is nothing to be laughed at (unless you're a tank). The only downside is that if you want to put them in a Rhino it can be harder to run drive bys with them because only two people can shoot out.

However, if you have the models and the inclination, it is perhaps more sound to put him with TH/SS Terminators in a Land Raider of some description. I'd advise Terminators over the Vanguard, because chances are if you run Vulkan with footslogging Vanguard you'll still want a LR and Terminators offer more in terms of survivability IMO.

However, just a thought. In larger games (past 1500pts), maybe run a Captain with the army as well if you want the Command Squad, or a Chapter Master if you want the Honour Guard. Perhaps have Vulkan, a Captain with thunder hammer and either a combi-flamer or combi-melta and a jump pack and put him in an Assault Squad, letting Vulkan ride with the Command Squad. Just an idea.

Archived