Pre Game Tactics / Strategies

joeshmoe

Hello folk.

I am wondering what decisions you guys make at the very beginning of the game.

1) Depending on what mission you play, do you have a slightly different list for different missions?

Do you carry different lists with you and choose one based on the mission?

2) At what point do you give your list to your opponent? After figuring out the mission?

3) When you set up Terrain what are you looking for? Cover wihin certain ranges? Open areas? Line of sight? Difficult / dangerous terrain?

4) Does the terrain set up effect your decision to go first (if you have won the roll of)?

5) When setting up objectives, what are you thinking when placing them? Are you figuring distance from one objective to the other? Cover? Within difficult/dangerous terrain? How many per side?

Any other thought / insight are good. I am finally almost done putting together my SM army and looking to go beyond reading / posting on the B and C, and actually start playing more:lol: .

Thank You.

There's a couple different ways to go about things.

1) For tournaments and most pickup games, you come in with/design a list before you know what mission/setup you've got. If you plan a game with buddies, or are playing in a store event, you might know/decide in advance what your table is going to look like. Then you prep your list for the mission.

2) For tournaments, you usually turn in your list before the tournament starts and provide a copy before each game starts to your opponent. At a minimum, you have a list available (and legible) for your opponent to review during the game. I almost never actually give my list to my opponent before or during a game. If they ask, I've got it ready, and a lot of times they'll ask to review it later. Your list should be complete and ready for review prior to the start of the game, in any case. To my mind, that means before missions are rolled, if you're doing it randomly on the spot.

3) That's completely dependent on what list I'm running with and what kind of list my opponent has. Against a very shooty army, I might put a lot of cover in my deployment zone and along my avenues of approach, trying to block LOS to at least part of my planned advance. Against a CC oriented army, I want my lines of sight as open as possible, and actually don't want cover or terrain slowing their advance, because all that usually does is make them safter from me as they advance.

4) Its one of many factors that go into my decision to go first. It ultimately comes down to "How do I create the kill gap the fastest?"

5) The game tells you how many objectives you're using based upon mission type (0, 2, or d3+2). You don't "pick" how many to use unless you and your opponent come to an agreement on that sort of thing. Two major lines of thinking on placing them: a) How hard is it going to be for them to get to (and survive keeping) it? ;) How easy is it going to be for me to defend/take it. Many times, I'll place my objective out in the open, and deploy away from it, forcing my opponent to choose to come to me and away from the objective or go for it and be wide open to my shooting and assaults. Other times, especially if the enemy isn't very mobile, I"ll plant it deep within my zone, and hard to get to. In all cases, I place my objectives where I think that I can attack or defend them with multiple units over the course of any given turn. The last thing that you want to do is have an objective in your deployment zone (or if you place one in your opponent's zone) that you've got only one good chance (or limited total chances) to successfully capture or deny the enemy.

1) I usually write the list before the game and due to where I play often before even know who I'm facing. I am considering preparing a small handful of lists and choosing between them based on the army I'm playing and what style I wish to play. I would decide what list I am going to use before the mission is decided.

2) I would only show the list when I am happy that the other player has chosen theres. I would be happy to show them right from start of the battle providing I see theirs too, otherwise not until game starts unless he has specific queries.

3) Since I often play in my local GW store we often just use the table as it's set up, otherwise it depends on the units I'm using. Cover isn't so important with marines but blocking line of sight can be very useful and I would try to use it to hinder my opponent whilst giving me as much freedom as I can and have an idea of how I would use it or get around it.

4) I would say the opponant effects it more than the terrain, but it would to some extent.

5) I usually like to place them deep in my deployment where I can defend easily and efficiently. I hadn't really considered placing it outside of my deployment zone but I may try that, it would probably require less splitting of the force and allow me to keep my options open. As it is I usually keep it defended and send the majority of my force forward on the offensive, or to at least engage the enemy away from my objective with the view of either breaking through and capturing theirs, contesting theirs with faster units or outflanking/infiltrated scouts. Not ideal but I'm not an ideal player :)

1. No. I have 1 standard list. Can't adjust mid tourney.

2. Right after I shake their hand after introducing myself.

3. A fair table.

4. Sometimes. Usually I just go 2nd so I can respond to deployment.

5 How close they are together. If I can cap multiples with 1 squad, that frees up other stuff to kill the enemy.

1) Nope, I have different lists for different point values, or different moods... but you make lists, agree to games, and then roll missions.

2) I dont usually "give" my list to my opponent. If he has any questions he can ask me. If he thinks theres something seriously odd going on my list is available of course, but I dont want to see his in casual play or even in tournament tell after the battle.

3) I try to set up terrain with a movie feel or an organic feel- ie how would a city block be set up? or if I was playing a map in Call of Duty what would it look like? etc. I dont like setting up terrain trying to maximize a certain playstyle- unless its planetstrike or apocalypse of course.

4) Rarely. Usually its my opponents apparent forces and his deployment that determine if I want the initiative or not. For instance if hes deployed off the board and Im not DPing Id like first turn to take advantage of better positions I might be able to get. Sometimes I like to give up first turn just to see how my opponent plays before I make my move.

5) Im thinking about defensability/takability, how close to other objectives they are, and wether or not I care.

Misc) Id say one of the biggest factors in wether or not I want first turn is wether or not my opponent has some kind of sledgehammer I could counter with a decent opening turn- like say an Imperial Artillery force or Chaos Defilers. These kinds of hammer units are worthless if they dont shoot and so nullifying their shooting *ie atleast shaken* on the first turn can really save my troops.

Misc) How out of sight am I? If I can be in cover with a bolter armed squad I probly should be. If I have a heavy weapon squad such as Longfangs or Sterngaurd then I certainly want them in cover- they probly wont be going far. For these units the best thing is cover with good firing lines. If I can put my whole army in cover and await my enemy *vs say orks, khorne, or nidz* I see no reason to put them out in vulnerable open ground.

Misc) Reserves are key- and they dont have to be off the table. Any unit that you keep behind your main line ready to respond to the enemy is a reserve. In C:SM armies an Assault Squad makes a wonderful reserve unit, as do Sterngaurd or Vangaurd in a Razorback. Use them to reinforce areas that might be wavering or send them where their skills can make the most difference. DSing units like TDA or DPs can do this, as can fast units or outflanking units.... and they can be a very useful wildcard for you.

Misc) Adaptability- I play my armies adaptable, even my Eldar. If a unit can effectively add another area to its abilities *anti tank, speed, etc* without a huge points investment I see no reason to hamstring myself by not taking some of these options. Thinkin like an engineer- make it do as much as possible with as little as possible.

Archived