Stealth USR and Telion

Giga

Okay, the stealth USR says the following:

"All of the unit's cover saves are improved by +1." - page 76 of the 5th ed rulebook

Telion has stealth. The rule doesn't say "all of the MODEL's cover saves are improved by +1", and Telion is by default an upgrade character on a unit. So does having telion in a unit of scouts means the entire unit gets the +1 cover bonus from being in cover/in area terrain? Does this means that a unit of scouts with camo cloaks and telion gets an automatic 2+ cover save?

Cause if that's how it works, then Telion is REALLY worth it... But the rules are murky.

Otherwise, what's the point of telion having stealth, if he doesn't confer the ability to the scout squad he's bought as an upgrade for?

To be honest I think the rule was written assuming that the entire squad would have the Stealth USR. With only Telion having it and the rest not I am not sure it is conferred to the rest of the unit. It is definitely not lost but I dont think that the rest of the squad gets it.

You can still claim the 2+ cover save on all shots directed at Telion, therefore ensuring his survival in a long range fire fight is a little more likely.

Still I have no RAW arguments so this opinion is likely to stay as that.

I think this has been argued to death and will continue to do so until GW realises that they have to answer the real Frequently Asked Questions rather than the ones they have time to write up.

Wan

The important factor here is that Telion is not an independent character. The codex specifically says that one scout squad in the army may REPLACE its scout sergeant with sergeant Telion. That means that Telion is part of the scout squad just like any normal scout sergeant. For this reason, Telion grants the entire scout squad the Stealth rule. Furthermore, the codex says that the squad may have camo cloaks at +3 pts. per model. This means that Telion and the whole scout squad may stack both camo cloaks and the stealth rule together, which gives them a 2+ cover save without having to rely on a Techmarine's Bolster Defences rule. If Telion were an independent character then he would count as a unit unto himself and the stealth rule would only apply to his model and not the rest of the unit he might be attached to.

I welcome any responses to this, I would love to hear your take on my take.

McFisty

means that Telion and the whole scout squad may stack both camo cloaks and the stealth rule together
Absolutely not. Stealth + Stealth =/= Super Stealth. You can only have the same special rule (ie Stealth) once, though that is technically unwritten AFAIK. If a unit somehow gained Furious Charge from two different sources, such as the Death Company being in range of Brother Corbulo's Red Grail, they would not get +2 S and +2 I on the turns they charge, though it'd be pretty sweet!

Secondly, "As this is just a summary, if any of the Codexes include one of these special rules and the rule is different, the one in the Codex takes precedence." It is different in Codex: Space Marines, in that a single model in a unit can get it. A single model having an ability does not give the ability to the rest of the unit unless specifically stated, such as with some Exarch powers giving the benefit to the whole unit. Thus, since it's different it takes precedence, leaving a single model within a unit having Stealth. The rest of the squad still has to buy the cloaks to get their own Stealth.

Now where's that dead horse? Ah yes...*kick kick* :)

The important factor here is that Telion is not an independent character. The codex specifically says that one scout squad in the army may REPLACE its scout sergeant with sergeant Telion. That means that Telion is part of the scout squad just like any normal scout sergeant. For this reason, Telion grants the entire scout squad the Stealth rule. Furthermore, the codex says that the squad may have camo cloaks at +3 pts. per model. This means that Telion and the whole scout squad may stack both camo cloaks and the stealth rule together, which gives them a 2+ cover save without having to rely on a Techmarine's Bolster Defences rule. If Telion were an independent character then he would count as a unit unto himself and the stealth rule would only apply to his model and not the rest of the unit he might be attached to.

I welcome any responses to this, I would love to hear your take on my take.

McFisty

Telion grants stealth as do the Camo Cloaks which means they do not stack as they are the same rule.

There is nothing in the stealth rule that would imply that it stacks.

OK, I stand corrected on the stacking of stealth and camo cloaks. What this means then is that with Telion, the whole squad gains stealth and therefore, does not need the camo cloaks. One would still need the Techmarine's Bolster defences rule to improve the squads cover save to a 2+. I interpret the rules to mean that the whole scout squad gains stealth when you replace the scout sergeant with Telion.

McFisty

It's because of the B) -poor way the two rules are worded. Stealth says the unit with the rule gains a +1 to Cover Saves, and because Telion is always part of a unit, it's assumed (at least on mine & Mcfisty's part) that because Telion is part of a Scout Squad (which is a unit), the whole package has Stealth. Ya know what, I blame that no-good grox fondler of of git they call Matt Ward. If he had just worded Telion a little better, we wouldn't be having this argument.

*grumble grumble grumble*

Depends on the Source of said bonus. Perhaps if GW implemented different sources of bonuses in Warhammer. "Character Bonus" for things like a Techmarine's Bolster Defenses, "Wargear Bonus" for things like Camo Cloaks, "Terrain Bonus" for hiding in especially good cover.

Exactly... but the rule thats nearly universal in all rules sets is that if the bonus comes from the same place twice you only get it once. So telion+camo cloaks doesnt = +2 as I see it, no matter wich way you read the stealth rule... having the stealth rule twice just gets applied once.

Id say telion just has his own personal cloak though. After all since GW has a thing about giving SCs wargear options I think he just got the special rule, when the proppa thing to have done would be say he has a camo cloak and never have started this mess.

That, or theyre waiting to see what direction the players take it and then rule in a couple years when theyve made up their minds. They do that sometimes.

Now where's that dead horse? Ah yes...*kick kick* :)

Lemme join in *kick kick*

Telion DOES NOT grant his rules onto his squad, poor wording aside there are no rules covering upgrade characters in this matter, we cant use IC rules as hes not an IC, but if we look at them Stealth is one of the rules that does not confer when he joins a squad... coincidence.. i think not.

So if theres no rule saying he does confer, we cant use them...

At the start of the rulebook it mentions a unit can be many things including a single model, now i know for games terms he isnt a single model as he cant be taken without a scout squad, but rules wise he is, as his rules are different to standard scouts. So Telion is a 'unit' and he gets +1 to his cover save.. his squad need cloaks.

GC08

Basically RAW stealth is confered (IMO)

RAI could very well be that Telion is the only one who has it...

In friendly games come to an agreement in tourneys ask the organizer (or check the even guide) to give a judgement before the games start to get this sorted and if the issues arises you can go the organizers have ruled thus.

This falls into my oppinion into the grey areas such as can Chaos dreadnoughts see behind them for firefrenzy.

Archived