Enemies occupying area terrain.

ShinyRhino

Soooo, let's say we've got a 12"x12" mat of forest on the table. You've got a squad of Tau Firewarriors hunkered down in the far end of it. You move your tactical squad into the forest, but not far enough to get to assault range (damn those difficult terrain rolls!). You manage to get all ten Marines onto the area terrain "pad" and decide to Rapid Fire.

Do the Tau get cover saves?

I know this is a bonehead question, but I can't remember the answer!

No they do not. So long as you are in the area terrain it's assumed your troops are diving behind cover etc getting cover bonuses and you are using them as such.

Now if you were NOT in the area terrain but shooting through it you both would get cover saves since no one is shooting out of it but rather through it.

^^^

Wrong.

The Tau still get their cover saves (not that they'd need them, 4+ save anyway).

When shooting from inside area terrain, the target gets cover saves unless the firer has less than 2" of the area terrain that his LoS has to pass through.

Almost but not quite. The 2" rule only aplies when fireing out of area terain, not into. Units inside area terain ALWAYS get the coversave, regardless of where the person shooting them is. If you are in area terain, you get a coversave, always, no exceptions. (unless of course the weapon denies cover saves like a flamer does).

^^^

Wrong.

The Tau still get their cover saves (not that they'd need them, 4+ save anyway).

When shooting from inside area terrain, the target gets cover saves unless the firer has less than 2" of the area terrain that his LoS has to pass through.

Almost but not quite. The 2" rule only aplies when fireing out of area terain, not into. Units inside area terain ALWAYS get the coversave, regardless of where the person shooting them is. If you are in area terain, you get a coversave, always, no exceptions. (unless of course the weapon denies cover saves like a flamer does).

Ah, I misread. I thought the Tau were supposed to be outside.

Ok, does this mean that the Tau, if they benefit from the cover, can make a cover save first and if that fails then take their normal armor save? In the past editions it been one or the other, but in 5E it appears that a player can benefit from both attempts. If so, then this is great news when having to deal with shooty armies like IG, not so much if your SM and have a 5 man tact squad trying to take out a unit that has dug in.

No, you always get one save whether its cover, armour, or invuln etc... Whichever is best they get. So theyd use their armour unless a las cannon blasts em then theyd take the 4+ cover. ;)

Archived