gates of infinity

Militis Templum

I have a rule that needs to be clarified gates of infinity is a phsyic attack that allows my libararian to move up too 24" using deepstrike rules. The question brought up last night was when I had to use that ability it states " at the beginning of the libararians movement phase"

The arguement was that I had to pioritise the movement of the libariran first before all of the other models, to which I disagreed I should be able to move the libariran at my choosing and when I move him then at the beginning of his movement phase use that power otherwise the rule should state "at the beginning of the movement phase"

what do you guys and girls think

my supporting aguement:

I find the way that it was worded is very accurate it is a limitation on the use of that power say this the most I could move is 30" as it's at the beginning of his movement phase I can't move 6" use the power move another 24" then run another d6 to reach 36" it clearly has nothing to do with when I have to use that power as that intupritation has nothing to do with what I have to move first or last otherwise I would have to use a shooting power first as well

The power is not dependent on other units though supplementing you units with homers does not mean that the rule needs to be tailored to suit the whims of the opponent yes it's an advantage to minimize the chances of misshaping but it doesn't remove it all together. The movement phase it a broad category title each unit has it's own movement phase within that phase if all units were to move at the same time they all would have to move or not move and if they did move they would have to move the same distance to say they don't get their own movement phase is just a play on words.

If you take the all models move at the same time with in the movment phase statment the would also reach thier respective postions at the same time, therefore making the libararian use his power first before the complete phase has come to a conclusion is really just a ploy to make him scatter and hopefully roll a mishap. That is tactica not rules nor game machanics.

Basing it of the statement made would move my libararian first and place him within 6'' from where I anticipate my tac squad to be by the end of the movement phase and not scatter him because by the end of the movement phase the tac squad would be within 6'' of where he is........ could you imagine the uproar caused by that I would be branded a cheater and removed from acceptable playing conditions.

The "Librarian's movement phase" refers to the "Librarian player's movement phase". I.e. he cannot use the power during the opponent's turn.

There is no individual movement phase for every unit. There is only "the movement phase" for each player, and during that movement phase he can move any of his unist one after another, as described on page 11 in the rulebook.

So "beginning of librarian's movement phase" indeed means "before anyone else moves".

Locator Beacon: (...) Note that the locator beacon must already be on the table at the start of the turn for it to be used.

Codex Space Marines, page 67

So, no.

But applying the locator beacon rules to a Librarian with GOI is a bit dodgy anyways.

Also, the GoI uses the deep strike rules but does have an exception. If traveling with a unit and doubles are rolled for the scatter distance one member of the unit is lost. The use of a homer negates the need for a scatter roll so it also bypasses this penalty.

This is one of those cases where, “using the deep strike rules” doesn’t necessary equate one-for-one to Deep Striking.

-OMG

Absolutely true but as stated, GoI isn’t Deep Striking as it occurs at a different time(s) and can invoke different results. Since it’s not Deep Striking in the direct sense why should wargear that applies to literal Deep Striking also apply especially since it removes the added penalties related to GoI?

Usually it’s considered good sportsmanship to accept the penalties over the benefits in ambiguous areas. This is clearly one of those cases in my opinion.

Legatus put it very well; the practice is a bit dodgy – most literally.

-OMG

Archived