inquisitor and his henchmen... The possiblities?

Lei of the Angelai

My plan was to use the following as an elite choice:

Inquisitor

[standard Weapons]

(word of the Emperor)

Retinue:

3x'The warrior' (Veteran Guardsman)

[Replacing all weapons with grenade launchers]

1x'The Sage' (Calculus Logi)

[Allowing a re-roll to a failed to-hit roll for one of the launchers]

{does having three of these allow three re-rolls?}

2x'The Acolyte (Interrigators)

[re-allocate wounds to stop hits on inquisitor or the launchers]

{where does it state the armory costs in the Codex? I can't see prices and the acolytes can have 15pts worth}

This would be one of my heavy anti-tank units so just wanted to know if it was legal and viable?

If so, would plasma guns be more viable than rocket launchers as they get the rapid fire special rule.

Errr, methinks you're a bit confused. Rocket launchers? What do you mean by those? And grenade launchers as heavy antiarmor? Not really. For best inquisitorial builds, head on over to the Inquisition forums and there's plenty of posts there about inquisitor builds, and lots of people willing to give advice.

1x'The Sage' (Calculus Logi)

[Allowing a re-roll to a failed to-hit roll for one of the launchers]

{does having three of these allow three re-rolls?}

You should read the entry for sages much more closely. One sage does not allow a re-roll, it increases the Inquisitor's BS by 1. Having more than one sage allows a single re-roll.

2x'The Acolyte (Interrigators)

[re-allocate wounds to stop hits on inquisitor or the launchers]

{where does it state the armory costs in the Codex? I can't see prices and the acolytes can have 15pts worth}

It's on page 16, where it says "Daemonhunters Armory" in giant letters, followed by the table that takes up more than half of the page listing all of the wargear and prices. It's kind of hard to miss if you actually look for it.

This would be one of my heavy anti-tank units so just wanted to know if it was legal and viable?

It's legal, but it's really not viable. Strength 6 Krak Grenades can only penetrate up to AV 11, and heavy tanks have a lot more armor than that on the front and sides. Unless you get a lucky shot on the tank's rear armor grenade launchers won't do anything, and even then there's better weapons to use.

If so, would plasma guns be more viable than rocket launchers as they get the rapid fire special rule.

Plasma guns are only slightly stronger than Krak Grenades out of launcher, so they're also not a great choice for tank-busting. Out of the Warrior options Meltaguns are your best bet for killing a heavy tank, though you will almost certainly need a transport to get the unit close enough.

The main reason many people ask for wargear costs in the DH codex is that they are using the PDF that is missing page 16 (the first page of the DH Armoury). I recommend either buying the Codex in question (the ethical option) or downloading the Army Builder demo (the free option); either way will provide the wargear costs you may be lacking due to reason best left unsaid.

SJ

I don't use Inquisitors/Inquisitor Lords and their retinues for tank hunting or close combat. Instead I give Inquisitors 3 servitors with heavy bolters, two chirurgeons (I use Witch Hunters) and an acolyte. The Lord's retinue is larger and has 3 acolytes, plus a sage or two to slightly improve shooting. They should be deployed in cover as anti-infantry units. Go to The Bell of Lost Souls and read the Tactica on wound allocation in Inquisitorial retinues. These units will stick around for a few turns.

Archived