Vanguard + libby with gate ?

Brother Prometheus

No better or worse than just deep striking them off the bat anyway...difference being you could do it multiple times in a game, so odds are higher at least one of them would be successful (ie they would deepstrike and land with near-zero losses and be within 6" to hit something). I have been thinking of trying this out myself; I recommend you play a few games with proxies or the real deal if you have them, see how it works. I will do the same. =)

I was just figuring out the points for this, but then I read the last line in the description of Heroic Intervention: "This ability cannot be used if an independent character has joined the Vanguard Veteran squad."

crap ! Didn't catch that part...

Well, would have been pretty nice otherwise i think

I agree completely. Vanguard seem so close to being useful, if they had relaxed the rules a little on Heroic intervention they would be very playable and not so niche. For Heroic Intervention, they need jump packs, can't shoot AND can't take ICs, and for the one rule that makes them fun, that's too many restrictions. The JPs are expensive as hell, if you scatter too far they can't do anything but move closer to their impending doom or run away, which kinda defeats the purpose of Deep Striking in the first place. The suckiness of that is compounded by the fact that you spent so much on their JPs for a rule that applies only once.

They still fit in as a special Assault team with all their gear choices, but I wouldn't deal with the JPs.

Really they should have given them jump packs as standard, raised the price to 22pts, and said it was 8pts a model to have heroic intervention. Say it was for the use of the close range thunderhawk to get them exactly where they need to be.

Then you could use them with JPs and not pay through the nose, or they could have tweaked the HI price and allowed an IC.

While I wouldn't mind vanguard being cheaper, I wouldn't go so far as to say they are not useful; I love mine and I've only tabled them twice. One guy with 2xPF, one with 2xLit Claws, and three with only storm shields (my chapter is the Red Shields, so I call them Shield Bearers and painted the shields.....turquiose :D). Using the invuln saves vs dangerous terrain, I use the shield bearers to eek my unit closer to assault range than they otherwise might be able to reach as a unit. And when they get the charge, they bring the pain. 3 LC attacks, 3 PF, and 6 standard attacks...all +1 if I get the charge (which so far I have). Other than a really unfortunate encounter with plague marines (I knew better, but I tried anyway) they are pretty devestating.

I've a small squad of 6 Vanguard* (all with power weapons) with an attached Librarian and Techmarine for 30+ armour ignoring attacks coupled with flexible deployment for tournament games (i.e., stuff them in a Redeemer, gate with them, reinforce terrain for the tactical heavy weapons to stand behind, etc). A bit wishy-washy, however, I'm a water player and having the ability to flex with the situation a kind of nice, such as 30+ power weapon attacks from 8 models. The two Redeemers and one Crusader also help a bit, too.

SJ

*Legion of the Damned Assault Marines with bolt pistols and either power axes (2) or power fists (4), no jump packs.

Archived