Fearless bypass?

Azulz

I think fearless wins.

Terrifying oponent: Groutesques are horrible oponents to fight against. Any oponent beaten by them in close combat automaticly falls back without a leadership test being taken.

Fearless: Fearless troops automaticly pass all moral and pinning checks they are required to make and will never fall back.

Its close but I give it to fearless.

Interestingly enouph though, synapse loses (as the test has to be taken for synaps to pass it).

No debate there at all GTang.

Fearless vs. Grotesque ...well....I believe that you have two special rules without one having a clear over-rule of the other...To me this is a clear case of Diceing off for which rule wins.

Shouldn't codex (horribly out of date though it is) override BRB?

I don't see the Issue it says will never fall back.

Which has nothing to do with Automatically passes tests to see if the unit falls back but just a fullstop never falls back.

ANother question... A dreadnought is beaten by Groyesques... is the dreadnought going to run away? as it normally never falls back?

The DE Codex does not mention fearless models, but there were a few other such rules during 3rd Edition where the rules did say that fearless models are not affected. For example, units losing combat against a greater demon would also have to fall back without taking a test, but it also said that models that never fall back or those that would otherwise automatically pass all tests would be exempt (3rd ed C:CSM, p. 9). I think there might have been FaQ entries around that time too.

As the rules currently stand, by RAW the fearless unit swould have to fall back. Fearless = never falls back, Grotesque = must fall back. Codex trumps rulebook. But since I do remember how other such rules used to play out I would still exempt fearless units from that effect.

Codes Dark Eldar, 2nd Ed. pg 8, “Terrifying Opponent: Grotesques are horrible opponents to fight against. Any opponent beaten by them in close combat automatically falls back without a Leadership test being taken.”

As stated above, the Fearless USR on pg 75 of the BRB states, “Fearless troops automatically pass all Morale and Pinning tests they are required to take, and will never fall back.”

In both cases, the standard rules for making Leadership/Morale checks are overridden in favor of the exception. In both cases the check is replaced by an automatic result, either pass or fail. So then we are left with the specifics mentioned in the respective exception.

The statement in Fearless, “will never fall back” is pretty absolute. There’s nothing in the Grotesque rule at the same level, e.g. “Affected units will always fall back even if they have a special rule that allows them to automatically pass leadership checks.”

By my read, Fearless trumps Terrifying Opponent despite the convention that Codex trumps BRB.

-OMG

While I agree with the idea that Fearless would trump grotesques could we also not look at it like this.

Fearless kicks in when a leadership check is required. The grotesque rule seems to state that when it comes into play the leadership check is not allowed to be taken i.e. you dont even get to the stage of even thinking of a leadership test. If the leadership check is never allowed would the fearless even come into play?

Again fearless has three main pionts before geting into gaining/losing fearless

1. Automaticly passes moral checks

2. automaticly passes pinning checks

3. Never falls back

its point three that likely beats the groutesque rule.

Also please note that fearlessness does not help against all leadership tests, only the affore mentioned pinning and moral checks

Never falls back. I think that is pretty straight forward.

Terrifying Opponent: Grotesques are horrible opponents to fight against. Any opponent beaten by them in close combat automatically falls back without a Leadership test being taken

The bolded part 'implies' that the unit would otherwise have to take a Ld test. And automatically is not nearly as strong a word as 'Never.' If it said 'will Always fall back without a leadership test' then we would have an illogical falsehood.

Statement 1: Unit A must automatically fall back.

Statement 2: Unit A 'Never' falls back.

Unit A stays put.

Archived