Choosing targets with dedicated transports

Vandael

Heya all,

Here is a question that has been lingering in my mind ever since I've start using Rhino's more frequently in my army.

In the entrychart it states that a Rhino (dedicated transport) is counted as a seperate unit right?

This has brought some questions up in some games I've played recently.

If it is a different unit how does target allocation work?

It can choose a different target than the unit it is transporting, yes?

But:

- Can it choose a different target while transporting (& troops use fire points)?

So far we have reasoned that during the transport they are part of the same unit so have to shoot at the same target.

- If not, can it choose a different target straight after disembarkment?

They are seperated now and can choose different targets?

It's all in interpretation of the rules, but I was wondering how you people out there handel this. Because now and again some situations pop up where I do want to choose different targets.

Cheers,

Vandael

The BBB states that a unit that has a dedicated transport, that is mounted in it or not can fire at a different unit to what the transport fires out of.

For example my Rhino is stationary and has two firepoints so I fire my marines lascannon and plasmagun at a predator and the rhinos storm bolter at a unit of scouts. Normally restrictions apply when mounted on the number who can fire, what kind of weapons can fire (if any) based on the transport moving.

It can choose a different target than the unit it is transporting, yes?

Yes, because...

So far we have reasoned that during the transport they are part of the same unit so have to shoot at the same target.

... No, they remain 2 separate units, one inside the other.

The BBB states that a unit that has a dedicated transport, that is mounted in it or not can fire at a different unit to what the transport fires out of.

Found it in the FAQ, it is not limited to dedicated transports, but applies to all transports.

Thanks for your replies,

This clears things up for me in a short & simple way. I thought it was a difference in interpretation. This wil defenitly make a difference and gives some nice juicy options in battle.

Cheers,

Vandael

Archived