(Artwork) ChaosMarine

I debated bothering to show a WIP of this, but I thought maybe some of my fellow BnCers might enjoy it.

This represents my crash course in computer modeling, being unable to do much painting the past couple of months

due to moving and such I channeled my addiction into learning zbrush and maya.

I hope you like it, I have begun the texturing and what not but those pictures are for a bit later.

Also, for those who like thier chaos marines "spikier" so to speak, there is more detail in the actual finished product ;)

C&C welcomed

gallery_345_631_74375.jpg

It looks like a great start, but there are some errors in it i believe. The head is too far up in comparison to where the arms are, and it could really use some detail on the inside of the shoulders so they don't look stuck on. The elbows should also be a bit lower down.

It isn't exactly anatomically correct either, but i really like the face. I've worked with maya and other programs myself and i never got comfortable doing faces.

did you use some kind of meshsmooth? IMO he would really benefit from some straight, hard edges. Also mind the interior of the shoulder region, an model can more or less provide a detail of that. He also appears to have shoulderpads from a much earlier edition, lately they have become....ugh, words are failing :

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1706/wordsfail.png

Blue is how I feel shoulders were when I was introduced to the game and red is how I see them as having changed starting with like the 3d edition plastics and continuing out. This is not based on actual measurements so don't take it as gospel, but I feel the shoulders used to be more smooth-curved (less "strong") and seems to point more vertically in resting position (as opposed to now where even the most rigid marines have a natural outwards slope).

Didn't know we could post 3d here. Maybe this is something I might indulge in myself...:lol:

It looks like a great start, but there are some errors in it i believe. The head is too far up in comparison to where the arms are, and it could really use some detail on the inside of the shoulders so they don't look stuck on. The elbows should also be a bit lower down.

It isn't exactly anatomically correct either, but i really like the face. I've worked with maya and other programs myself and i never got comfortable doing faces.

Yeah there is a few things I've changed in the transition from zbrush to maya, the proportions in zbrush are a bit funny. I was texturing a bit today and I'm pretty happy with things so far. I still need to build the powerplant though, I haven't decided quite how I want it yet.

I'm also working on crisping up the edges in maya, something that doesn't translate 100 percent from zbrush. Knowing what I know now, I'd approach this project a different way, next time I guess.

the best way i think is to begin with a midpoly base, use smoothing groups and subdividing to bring it into highpoly, and then worry about the zbrushing.

For instance, in about 5 minutes you can put together this shoulderpad. All I did was cut up a box, apply a 2-iteration meshsmooth based on smoothing groups assigned to the planes, and then presto - nicely divided smooth highpoly piece ready to be worked up and polished. I'm not sure how to do that in maya but i'm sure it's fairly similar to autodesk 3dsmax :lol:.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8775/shoulderpad.png

It is pretty much the same in Maya, problem is I started learning zbrush first and progressed that way. live and learn.

Then however you have to texture everything and render without bogging everything down too much (depends on your computer of course) and get your desired effect, can be a bit of a juggling lesson.

Working from a midpoly base will always provide you with a more logical UV, so I wouldn't wory about texturing so long as you follow tried and true methods :lol:.

Zbrush is great but it's really not a building tool the way they promote it (you end up with inefficient, un-riggable memory-hogging pieces). It's far better put to use modifying a finished base.

Archived