Looking for suggestions on Mk. IV chestplates

Lord Noble

I started sculpting Mk. IV torsos for my Pre-Heresy SW Grey Hunter Squad I'm doing for the Great Hunt. I'm trying to decide how to do the power cables on the front. My first inclination was to sculpt them, but, I haven't that kind of time (lots of other wolfy bits to do yet). The I thought of using guitar strings, but when working with strings that short, they become a real pain. It also crossed my mind to use y mind to use Dragon Forge pewter-cast power cables, but I'm tying to limit myself to objects at hand.

So I ask you. What are you using for power cables? Is there something I'm missing?

Here is the WIP squad as it stands now...

gallery_11797_3992_165014.jpg

-J

You could also use wire. Electrical wire. They are rubber and fairly small. If you fun them in an X pattern over the chest plate you can cut one so the other can run through it without a large bump..and then sculp a center piece over it.

OR..for that matter use smaller guitar strings. They dont have to be the thicker ridged strings....they can be the higher strings that arent wound. Then just color them as thick wiring.

Also you could use guitar string as going under the lower pieces into the chest cavity then sculpt over that.

MK VI Armor Plate:

I would get some plasticard or styrene tubing and draw out a template for the armors front plate. Cut them out and use and plastic weld to attach the part. then use a sandable putty like milliput of aves apoxie sculpt to clean up any seems. Way faster that scratch sculpting each one.

Conduit and power cables:

Simple... buy some 24 gauge and 20 gauge copper wire. Now simple wind the 24 guage wire around the 20 guage wire. Push the coils together to create tight conduit. Cut it to size and hit the ends with a dab of super-glue. It'll look just like guitar wire but far more flexible and super cheap. For a more profession look, cut a couple of short lengths of brass tube with a dremel tool to create machined sockets.

Painless Rivets:

Google "glitter beads" or "micro beads" they're tiny metal or glass marbles between 0.25 - 1.5 mm. You can get like a million of them for a $2-3. Just drill and appropriate sized hole where you want the rivet add a tiny amount of super-glue. Then pour the beads of the model. Instant rivets and all the same size. I bought 0.5mm silver beads and 1.0 mm copper beads. Works a treat!

Hope that helps!

WolfLord- Thanks for the suggestions. I kinda like your idea of having the cables run under the chestplate. I'll have to try that for the next one.

Sersi- All awesome ideas. I tried using a template over a year ago, but wasn't satisfied with the outcome. Perhaps I should revisit it. As for the cables, I'm so taking your idea for 24 & 20 gauge copper wire. That should make those a bit easier to make. I'll have to see if I can find some appropriate brass tubing....

I'll post what I come up with after the weekend.

Thanks!

-J

For the cables it might be easier to use the flat data cables from computers. The kind that runs from the mother board to the drives.

It comes in different sizes, including a size with pretty small wires. If you cut strips from this stuff, you have instant flat cables that look good too.

Beork

Archived