Vanguard vets with thunderhammers/SS legality

Xeonic

First off, I realize my first question is quite similar to This question, but I see it as different enough to need clarification.

The above post does seem to indicate my vanguard vets with mixed storm shields and randomish weapons are legit, however I figured I'd ask anyways to be sure.

First question being(and I ask because a certain someone told me that this wasn't possible), can I take thunderhammer -and- storm shields on my vanguard vets? Or really any weapon upgrade and a storm shield...

I assumed that due to the wording "and/or" I could select to replace one, then the other, but was told that this was impossible(hoping this was an ignorant remark, he doesn't play SM). Not that it's cost effective to take a unit of TH/SS vets, but I wanted to use different storm shields on several of them for flavor(I like eclectic veteran units with many differing weapon types, looks cool, and slapping a few mixed shields on will enhance the "armored knight" image that mk2 helms give).

Second question is can I have the sgt dual wield thunderhammers or powerfists(granting +1 attack as per the core rulebook), the exact phraseology I'm using to support this is "may replace his power sword with...), followed immediately by an entry which states "any model... bolt pistol and/or chainsword with:" the sergeant lacks a chainsword, but does have a bolt pistol so I assumed he was covered by that entry. This also wouldn't be a terribly good use of points but the idea of a dual hammer/fist wielding sgt amuses me.

Note that an affirmative to question #1 would grant all vanguard vets to dual wield lightning claws, thunderhammers, powerfists, etc(albiet at greatly inflated points cost vs a sergeant).

Finally, it would also be legal to take a relic blade with a storm shield, as though the relic blade is 2h, the storm shield is 1h for selection purposes, correct?

These questions are giving me evil ideas for vanguard vet weapon loadouts...

If these exact question has already been asked, I beg forgiveness.

The wording of the codex states "and/or", this effectively means that you can replace both of the items with any 2 upgrades from the list. The Seargeant gets a break on the cost if he is replacing his power sword because you already pay for one power sword in the basic cost of the unit. This means that any model can have a stormshield and a an upgrade weapon, and allows any model to dual wield weapons also, the seargeant just gets a cost break since he already had a power weapon to start with, rather than a chainsword.

2 and one handed does not excist anymore. You can take a relic blade and a storm sheild (and many do, though I see it as a waste of the captain/masters BS 5) Yeas you can take 2 power fists with any and/or type selection, it is generaly a bad idea though as its very expinsive for a extra attack. But up to you, it does look cool at least.

Cool, thanks, just reinforced what I thought anyways.

I realize it's not an efficient points cost, but it's a neat option that I think will look cool on a magnetized vanguard vet squad(so I can field them with more sane weapons configs for more serious games).

I've probably just confused myself with remembering 4th ed wargear rules with the 1/2h fiasco :P

Vanguard sgt is only BS4 and comes with just a bolt pistol anyways, so I see relic blade/SS as a reasonably good upgrade path, the bolt pistol not giving +1 attack anyways(and SS giving massive invuln save bonus). Same reason storm shields are good with thunder hammer/powerfists, really. I did notice that he could have dual lightning claws for +15 pts, which looks pretty sweet(wolverine!).

10 jump pack equipped vanguards with storm shields and various flavors of painful weapons is a big points sink, but at the same time should be fun to field.

A ten man jump pack equipped squad with all powerfists and thunderhammers lead by a sgt with a relic blade(or dual thunderhammers!) where they all have meltabombs would be a fearsome sight for any opponent(terrible vs horde armies, I imagine), but would probably rarely ever hope to kill it's points back.

I play for fun anyways, and definately fielding a dual wielding jump pack deathmachine sounds fun to me.

The devasator squad and the assault squad boxes both come with powerfists that are molded to as if to have the index finger pointing towards something, but the best part is that the dev one is the left arm and the assault one is the right arm, so it opens up some interesting possibilities for modelling a dual wielding powerfist veteran.

Archived