Fighting Space Wolves 13th Company

Smirnov

These fellas are my regular enemies and I wanted to ask about some countermeasures to them.

The army all-scout, so whole detatchmet can go outflank. No terminators, no vehicles, only troops and a horde of fenrisian wolves. Add there a wolflord and I'm in for a lot of trouble :)

I'm playing Black Templars, which is the main stumpling bloc - both armies are chargers, and more that often Wolves turn to be better in melee then my black and white knights.

Well, the first thing that immediately springs to mind is to field lots of units with Furious Charge; hitting first in close combat will do a lot to diminish the Wolves' bite. If it's mostly footslogging then I'd also advise mechanizing so that you can outmaneuver his army and defeat it in detail.

Well, the first thing that immediately springs to mind is to field lots of units with Furious Charge; hitting first in close combat will do a lot to diminish the Wolves' bite. If it's mostly footslogging then I'd also advise mechanizing so that you can outmaneuver his army and defeat it in detail.

Mechnizing is a bit difficult in small battles (we generally play 750 points), but I'll try.

And also Wolves have a lot of heave weapons - plasma, meltas, power fists.

Point out he's playing an illegal codex and watch his army disappear?

Why? I thought Eye of Terror is still viable. At least it's approved at most of our tournaments.

In all seriousness:

Land Raiders. LC TDA Sword Bretheren w/ FC. Charge them.

Lascannon as countermeasure?

And what should I do in smaller games?

In all seriousness:

Land Raiders. LC TDA Sword Bretheren w/ FC. Charge them.

Lascannon as countermeasure?

And what should I do in smaller games?

Considering the fact that Terminators can't have lascannons and there would be no reason to use them against an infantry army, and no reason to give a model with a lascannon Furious Charge I think he meant Terminators with lightning claws, who can rip MEQs into tiny little pieces.

Considering the fact that Terminators can't have lascannons and there would be no reason to use them against an infantry army, and no reason to give a model with a lascannon Furious Charge I think he meant Terminators with lightning claws, who can rip MEQs into tiny little pieces.

No-no, not that. I meant Wolves countering my Land Raider with a few lascannons their how-their-name fangs can have.

And Eye of Terror is no longer legal.

Can you point me to the statement? I would be really greatful! :)

No-no, not that. I meant Wolves countering my Land Raider with a few lascannons their how-their-name fangs can have.

Melta is usually a bigger threat to Raiders than Lascannons; a Lascannon shot only has around a 7% chance to get a result of immobilized or better against a Raider. Also, the lack of ablative wounds is a big weakness on Long Fangs is a big weakness you should be able to exploit; every unsaved wound kills a valuable and expensive model.

Melta is usually a bigger threat to Raiders than Lascannons; a Lascannon shot only has around a 7% chance to get a result of immobilized or better against a Raider. Also, the lack of ablative wounds is a big weakness on Long Fangs is a big weakness you should be able to exploit; every unsaved wound kills a valuable and expensive model.

So I need something long range...

You want to hunt the 13nth co?

Then listen to a wolf.

At 750pts he cant have any other HQ than a Wolf Lord- who is bad-ass in CC but has limited support functions. The rest of his army could vary wildly, but the most likely setup is 2 packs of Grey Slayers and a unit of Long Fangs for support, maybe a fenrisian wolf pack instead.

So... heres the deal. Grey Slayers have 3 attacks a peice, and can take a beserker for their seargent. They are just as deadly getting charged as they are charging. He can outflank, or he can just get alot closer to you.

Their weakness is that they cost 21pts a peice, base, and everything goes up from there. For a T 4 model with a 3+ save thats alot. His Wolf Lord will run around 130pts on average, and two squads of 10 marines should take up about 480pts all told..... leaving 140 for a bit of support see? All told youll be facing less than 30 bodies on the field...

So shoot him. Alot. As a BT player your probly inclined to use CC as your primary weapon- avoid this at all costs. Nothing is scarier than a properly used 13nth co force in melee. Just shoot him, again and again.

At 750pts he cant have any other HQ than a Wolf Lord- who is bad-ass in CC but has limited support functions. The rest of his army could vary wildly, but the most likely setup is 2 packs of Grey Slayers and a unit of Long Fangs for support, maybe a fenrisian wolf pack instead.

That's right - Wolf Lord, two aquads of hunters and a fenrisian wolf pack ;)

So... heres the deal. Grey Slayers have 3 attacks a peice, and can take a beserker for their seargent. They are just as deadly getting charged as they are charging. He can outflank, or he can just get alot closer to you.

Their weakness is that they cost 21pts a peice, base, and everything goes up from there. For a T 4 model with a 3+ save thats alot. His Wolf Lord will run around 130pts on average, and two squads of 10 marines should take up about 480pts all told..... leaving 140 for a bit of support see? All told youll be facing less than 30 bodies on the field...

So shoot him. Alot. As a BT player your probly inclined to use CC as your primary weapon- avoid this at all costs. Nothing is scarier than a properly used 13nth co force in melee. Just shoot him, again and again.

Ok, I seem to get the catch. Thanks for the tip!

Archived