IG FAQ Question

Bloodworthy

So in the new IG FAQ it states that you treat Valkyries like skimmers except for embarking/dissembarking and contesting objectives. Since, I don't have my rule book with me, when measuring for range when shooting do I angle my tape measure up to the hull? I'm mostly concerned about using meltas to bring down those pesky new IG toys. Does that extra height help put them out of melta range?

My concern lies in the fact that unlike landspeeders or other vehicles on normal flying bases, the flying base for Valkyries are several inches taller, so tall in fact that when measuring for range, say for meltas, the hull could be out of range, especially for adding in the extra D6 for armor penatration. The height difference between a normal foot trooper with a melta and a normal flying base is insignificant when it comes to measuring range.

Such is the downside of firing at things higher than you. You do the same for any other instance where something is on a different elevation. No reason the valk/ven should be exempt from it. Ofcourse, they have to do the same thing to measure back..

Entierly correct. unless you and your oponent agree otherwise.

I'd say that you either only use a base or you only use the hull, my interpretation is only use the hull. I only found something on pg. 56, where it says that vehicles don't usually have a base, so measure to the hull instead (in all cases). This brings on problems with some walkers and assaulting though.

Reasoning for this:

Assaulting vehicles: The assault move is conducted just the same as assaulting other enemy units.

Walkers and assault: Walkers assault like infantry models.

Vehicles only measure from the hull, and the wording for walkers assaulting is the same as for infantry assaulting, both measure to the hull. So you've got to get the hull of the Walker into contact with the base...?

To return more to the discussion, as you measure from the base when firing with infantry to the hull and for vehicles from the weapon to the model (which is said to occupy the area of the base), does that mean that in the latter case, you measure to the base or the body? It would make a difference if you're high up in the air, as the IG valkyrie seems to be.

where it says that vehicles don't usually have a base, so measure to the hull instead (in all cases). This brings on problems with some walkers and assaulting though

No, it doesn't.

Walkers have a base. Furthermore, in the walker rules on p 72:

If a walker has a base, measure ranges and distances to and from its base, as you would for an infantry model. If a walker does not have a base...measure to and from its hull...as is normal for vehicles.

Archived