True Scale Death Watch Sword Bearer

El-Diablo

Some of you may have seen Commissar Molotov's work on INQ28, a conversion of the Inquisitor game to 28mm scale.

I was given the dubious honour of painting a couple of warbands for him, including a true scaled Death Watch marine, that had been modelled as coming from my own Sword Bearers chapter (link in sig it you want to see more).

I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to paint him at first but I had a flash of inspiration when I read something on Mol's blog about how he was going to be used in games.

He's really going to be mostly used as a Weapon of Mass Destruction

From that point I had a firm idea of where he was going - weathered armour and the look of a marine that would headbutt a Carnifex just for giggles.

Something else I managed to squeeze onto the base was a torn piece of chaos marine shoulder pad, with a tasteful blue and gold scheme. The main villains of Mol's campaign is a Tzeentchian cult, so if the Inquisition can have a Marine to back them up im sure a Chaos cult might be able to bribe a Chaos Marine to get his hands dirty......

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/INQ28/TrueScaleSwordBearerDW.jpg

C+C welcome.

My good sir,

That is a freaking badass model. Great job on the shaved head/beard/skin shading. It looks very convincing. Lastly, a thankyou for the pictures and the link. I'm curious whether or not this same technique would work with Chaos Marines.

**************************************************************************************************

Okay, so adding a spacer on the waist for height, using regular arms, pads, torso, pack, and head, with termy legs. That is simple enough to mass produce. Now to find money...

I presume the right shoulder pad is from the Dark Angels sprue (Ravenwing??). But what chapter is it supposed to represent??

I ask as it would be a nice one to add to my Deathwatch.

I was given the dubious honour of painting a couple of warbands for him, including a true scaled Death Watch marine, that had been modelled as coming from my own Sword Bearers chapter (link in sig it you want to see more).

Pad is from the DA sprue, just cut down a bit.

I presume the right shoulder pad is from the Dark Angels sprue (Ravenwing??). But what chapter is it supposed to represent??

I ask as it would be a nice one to add to my Deathwatch.

Pad is from the DA sprue, just cut down a bit.

:cuss , I am either getting blind or my speed reading is failing me. Must pay more attention.

Deathwing. That is what I thought. Thanks muchly.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments (and thanks to Midian for putting up a link to the INQ28 blog.) WIP pictures can be seen on the blog or in the WIP thread. I still harbour the dream of making a ten-man Kill-Team and using them as Movie Marines in a 300-esque "Holding the Hot Gates" game against an endless sea of Orks; as a result, in a few months you may see further updates in this thread!

I was in a rush to meet a(n admittedly somewhat self-imposed) deadline to send my INQ28 models to Midian. This, coupled with the fact that this particular model was my first attempt at "true-scaling", meant that he was a little rough around the edges. Midian smoothed out my green-stuffing just a tad before proceeding with the paint. He decided on a weathered look for his power armour, befitting his assignment to the Deathwatch. The Ordo Xenos accepts highly-skilled Marines into its ranks - they are an elite within an elite, forever marked by their experiences.

When I made the Marine, I wanted to pay tribute to Midian for helping me with the INQ28 project. As a result, I made him a Veteran of the Sword Bearers, his DIY Chapter. In fact, it was his Sword Bearers project that first caught my eye, and started a meaningful working relationship and friendship that I'm most appreciative of. (Sniff sniff!) It also gave him an opportunity to paint red - the color he's most known for! As he said, it's a Deathwing pad with a bit cut out (and the sword reshaped to fit as well.)

He also sent me these high-res pictures that I figured you might appreciate:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/inq28/0032.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/inq28/0062.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/inq28/009.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/inq28/012.jpg

Thats Magnificent!. I love the detailing to his head and face :3, you got the model perfect!. I love it, my hearty congratulations ^-^

Thanks!

the arms look a little small

:)

Well, it's really an acquired taste. True-scaling isn't an exact science, and there are many different methods. Whilst I took great influence from the likes of Synapse and the Apologist -- who use Terminator arms, repositioned -- I found that I didn't like it entirely. I eventually found the force of Shas'el Tael, who used power armoured arms. (here is a link to one of his models.) Whilst it does give the model a sort of "Tyrannosaur" look, I actually quite like it. It makes them look very "bottom heavy", which counteracts the shoulderpads/backpack and makes them look very "grounded", very intimidating. I reinforced that when I resculpted the back of the legs, making it look as though the shins had been more heavily-armoured than the calves.

That is the coolest bolter I have ever seen.

You can get them on the GW online store here. :)

Archived