Pinning Tutorial

Skirax

this guy is doing it on stuff larger than what we use it for normally but the technique is still pretty much the same....

http://www.gamerabaenre.com/pinning.htm

one technique he doesnt show in the video that i use is i put a tiny dab of red paint at a spot i want to drill and then i put the other piece into place and then when you take it off youll have where you drill the other hole. sorry i dont have any pics to show you

tools you want are going to be...

1)pin vise with drill bits

2)dykes or heavy duty snips

3)super glue

4)some normal sized paper clips or some people use hard wire they get at model stores

5)small file

6)modelling putty of choice, somtimes you need to fill in large gaps or solidify marine/termie torsos to make good strong anchorings for hanging metal off plastic

Thanks, will have a look :)

Edit: Have had a look, is useful, however, I need mine to stay on the second leg half and it's hard top use a vice to hold them togethor, and I will probably break parts. So I'm relying purely on gravity and the reason I need to pin is becase he keeps falling over even after the glue dries due to him being top-heavy. So what wire is strongest? (bear in mind, it's an all-plastic model)

paper clips are strong and are thick which is pretty good for larger stuff like achoring a whole mini...

if im thinking right on what you are trying to do....i first would secure the heavy piece so area that needs pinning is facing up ....drill and set your pins then drill and set the lighter/smaller pieces

also when i drill for the pin holes i go as deep into the pieces as possible and if u use just super glue it should dry quicker and then you can put putty around the pinning for extra strength

Model shops sell sets of drill bits for £10 from .15mm to 2mm in .05 steps, will fit pin vices. Don't forget if you unscrew the collet completely from the GW one, you can take out the insert, turn it the other way and hold bigger bits).

Tool shops, Maplin etc sell micrometers for £10.

I've collected an assortment of paperclips, dressmaking pins, steel and copper wire in various gauges (The copper is more flexible, thus poseable).

Measure the wire of choice with the micrometer, then drill to suit(a tight fit will make gluing easy, a loose fit more adjustable).

With sharp drill bits, I never use a vice, just my fingers, although I have drilled a fingertip a few times.

For setting whilst gluing, I use "Helping Hands", a pair or crocodile clips mounted on ball joints, £5 from model shops/electronic suppliers.

Here's a video of a pinning demonstration.

http://anakron.fr/anakron/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=574

My summary:

1. Drill a hole in the arm

2. Put a small ball of blue-tac or silly putty or clay on the shoulder

3. Test fit it on the model, pressing hard so the hole you just drilled in the arm makes an impression in the clay

4. The shoulder will have a little nipple now

5. Drill through it and your pin will line up

@lastman - Nice one for linking that video tut. I never though about using Blue tac to help line the holes up. I've always used a dab of paint on the end of the pin to get my holes lined up, and yes some times they would be mis-aligned. This method would work better for me and I will be definitely using it in the future.

Archived