Sternguard: multi plasma vs melta

Rhellion

What do you use, and why?

Plasma gives you more shots with high strength for killing a large target, but anything over T4 is not instant kill.

Melta is obviously better for destroying armor, and it's instant kill ability.

It's only 1 shot per modeled multi, which is better for your points? I'm picking up a Sternguard set tonight and I'll need to model what I decide, with melta being much harder to get the pieces for.

Plasma gives you more shots with high strength for killing a large target, but anything over T4 is not instant kill.

It's only 1 shot per modeled multi, which is better for your points? I'm picking up a Sternguard set tonight and I'll need to model what I decide, with melta being much harder to get the pieces for.

As I understand it the sternguard box comes with one combi-melta and no -plasma, so that pushes towards melta. My box had 2 sergeants instead of the combi-, though. IIRC I've seen most arguments on this board lean towards melta, since it lets Sternguard tackle vehicles, or flamers for horde-clearing. Personally I don't have much experience with sternguard, but I wouldn't want to risk too many gets hot saves with such an expensive unit, and I would prefer to have the option of melta to back up powerfist/krak grenades against land raiders and such. I assume plasma would be best if you need to kill lots of 2+ or 3+ armor save models with 6 or lower T, or if feel no pain, we'll be back, etc are giving you trouble. Models with a strong invul save (TH/SS terminators) would greatly reduce the usefulness of plasma, though, so if those are your targets you may as well use hellfire ammo and save the points. Melta I would bring if you tend to face a lot of well-armored vehicles, walkers, or high-T monstrous creatures. (wraithlord comes to mind) In either case, I have to say what other posters are likely to say: It depends on what you want the squad to do, and what else is in your army.

I'd go for Melta, because if gives you an additional capability and thats reliable anti-tank.

Between the AP3 and Hellfire rounds, most of the work of Plasma (MEQ, TEQ and MC) is covered to varying degrees.

However none of the special rounds help you against armor, so thats where I'd take the Melta.

The critical question is; 'How are you planning to use the Sternguard?'

If you are teleporting them around with a Librarian, Combi-Plasma are truly excellent because you'll (almost) always be able to use them to target their preferred form of targets - 2+ saves, MCs and light vehicle.

If you are Rhinoing them, 2 of each is a powerful setup, for use with the top hatch.

If Drop Pods, Plasma and Melta both have their good points for first turn drop and destroy routines.

I'd go for Melta, because if gives you an additional capability and thats reliable anti-tank.

Between the AP3 and Hellfire rounds, most of the work of Plasma (MEQ, TEQ and MC) is covered to varying degrees.

However none of the special rounds help you against armor, so thats where I'd take the Melta.

I agree. The special ammo covers most situations except when it comes to dealing with heavy armor. Melta is the way to go (for combi-weapons).

However, I'm still in the camp of dedicated weapons are better than one-shot wonders. But that is just me.

As I understand it the sternguard box comes with one combi-melta and no -plasma,

Pretty sure my box came with a combi-plasma and combi-melta, as for which to use, i'd say the melta is more versatile. It can do several things the plasma can't do (cause ID on T4, pop AV14, not kill your guy overheating ;) ).

Some of the functions of the plasma gun can be replicated by one of the special ammo types.

• 2 weeks later...

The three 10-man Sternguard squads I made from plastic SM have a mix of weapons.

Vet. Sgts. have a combi-melta and each squad has 4 more Vets with combi-weapons (2 combi-meltas, 1 combi-plasma, 1 combi-flamer).

Each squad has a melta gunner. Two squads have a heavy flamer, and the third squad uses a heavy bolter or a missile launcher. Those 2 heavy weapons are the cheapest available to Sternguard. (Every other heavy weapon option costs far more than a tactical squad pays for it, so Plasma Cannons, Multi-meltas and Lascannons are in the tactical squads.)

That leaves 3 SM with bolters, so 8 of the 10 squad members can fire special ammo.

If the game requires more mobility from the Sternguard (say they are attacking vs defending in Planetstrike) the heavy bolter or missile launcher is replaced by a plasma gunner or second melta gunner.

Melta is, IMHO, much better. Meltaguns cost only 5 points a piece on sternguard, so you give them two of those + as many combi-meltas as you think you'll use. With that kind of setup, the sternguard can become a great all-rounded unit that can literally deal with anything. In addition, meltaguns and combimeltas are assault weapons, hence allowing you to take advantage of sternguard's good close-combat abilities.

Plasma on sternguard isn't a great idea, IMHO. Mainly, it's the price of sternguard (losing a 30 point model to gets hot! is a really bad thing) that you don't want to risk. In addition, sternguard already come with their own (rather efficient) anti-MEQ ammunition, which sort-of takes away from plasma usefulness since the sternguard are already equipped with everything they need to take monstrous creatures and the like.

I'm also a fan of heavy flamers on sternguard. They're the only SM infantry that can take heavy flamers (apart from Vulkan, ofc). A well-positioned sternguard unit, equipped with double heavy flamers, can easily take out an entire 30 men boyz mob. Heavy flamers, combined with special ammo rapid firing, also allow you to put an obscene amount of wounds on most infantry units, hence almost ensuring you'll wipe them out.

I agree. The special ammo covers most situations except when it comes to dealing with heavy armor. Melta is the way to go (for combi-weapons).

However, I'm still in the camp of dedicated weapons are better than one-shot wonders. But that is just me.

In a 10 man squad 3-4 Combimeltas are an efficient way to insure youll do heavy damage to any enemy armor that gets close. It gives the unit a new capability without sacrificing its special ammo for use in other situations, like a ML or LC would.

Archived