Using a LRC as a transport

McFisty

I have noticed several posts refering to a LRC being used to transport units other than Terminators. One suggestion that I liked was to put Vanguard into a LRC and I believe this would make them much more useful/flexible. My problem is that it does not say in the codex that Vanguard may take a LRC as a dedicated transport. Can they still ride in the LRC if it is taken as a heavy choice on the force org. chart? If this is true can we also put other units in a LRC, such as Tactical squads or Sternguard? Not that Tac. squads would be my first choice but I mention that just to help clarify what can and can not ride in the LRC.

Please help me understand the full tactical advantages of using a LRC as a transport.

Thanks, McFisty

Yep, you can. Buy the LR as Heavy Support. The catch is that no unit can start the game disembarked into them...so they have to embark in as their first move of the game. (That is, at least, my understanding of the rules. I'd be curious to hear otherwise?)

Dedicated Transports have only one restriction, which is that only the unit it's dedicated to can start embarked within it...otherwise, it's just a bus. It can carry any single unit around, regardless of whether it's the unit it was bought for or no.

EDIT: Now that I've said this and gone to look, I can't find anywhere stating that a unit can't start deployed in a non-dedicated transport; i.e., my Vanguard *could* start the game deployed within their LRC?

Yes, as long as the transport isn't a dedicated transport then any unit can start the game deployed in it, and can either be put in it if they both start in reserve (tell your opponent beforehand though). Dedicated transports can only have the unit they were bought with start in them.

So for a Land Raider in the Heavy Support section, any unit that can start in it, ie. footslogging Vanguard but not jump pack Assault Marines etc, can start the game in it, even if it already has a dedicated transport (it doesn't have to start the game in that transport vehicle, just that they are the only ones that can). Hope that clears things up.

Actualy the rule book doesnt (at least not in my many readings) ever say that a unit can start embarked, in the dedicated transport rules it says that only the squad dedicated to it can start embarked in them. I have been told that in the missions section of the hard cover rule book (I only have the AoBR one) that some of the presented scenarios had units starting in non dedicated transports, so that is a very sideways "okay" So its not something directly stated in the rules, but more than likely intended, and (suposedly) hinted.

You're right there Frosty the Pyro, it doesn't actually say in the rulebook about whether a unit can start in a non-dedicated transport. I've just been reading it through looking at the dedicated transport rules (which give an exception), and the Reserves rule which says it's acceptable in Reserve, although this is perhaps the wrong way to go about trying to make a reasoned argument for it.

Thank you all for clearing this up for me. My first impression from the codex was that only termies and IC's could ride in a LRC. I feel better knowing that I have other options and will think about trying this out soon.

McFisty

Archived