relic blades

The Dark Angle

hello everyone, well lately i have read quite a few posts about relic blades and it seems that there is a lot of confusion when playing the game when a character has a relic blade so i wanted to know what you guys do to represent a relic blade also pictures would be nice if you have any

The best way to model a relic blade is with a power sword and a few words.

"He has a relic blade," works quite nicely.

Other than that try using a larger sword (like the one that comes with the command squad) or file the veins off of a power sword. Just painting a relic blade differently than the power swords in your army are painted works as well. A lightning effect is popular for power swords while in my opinion a transition effect looks nice for a relic blade.

:eek :o :D :eek that is one huge [i can't say that word here] sword well yeah i know you could just have a power sword and say it's a relic blade but I'd rather have my opponent say "oh that a relic blade" right away and for me not to have to explain it and same for my opponent to say "holy [again i cant say that word here] how can he possibly pick that sword up it's way to big" but thanks for the quick replies

The best example of a relic-type blade, is the Emperor's Champion's Black Blade. Its a large weapon, and certainly ornate enough for someone to look at it and think "Ah, relic blade".

Its quick, easy and you don't have to go overboard with it. Always a plus if you don't want to a huge amount of work converting the character.

I paint my relic blades grey with a white outline instead of my usual green glowy powersword colour as they look almost stoney. I also used the powersword intended for the company champion from the command box as a relic blade as the handle looks long as to accomidate two hands. My other relic blade is on a slightly modified azrael so the sword looks pretty ornate and is painting in the same grey way.

My buddy gave me an old Emperor's Champion model, painted very poorly (back when he was first learning). I stripped it, painted him up in my colors, painted my little Chapter Icon on his shoulderplate, and bam: a figure with a relic blade. He's currently a sergeant in my foot-slogging vanguard.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7761/godefroy03.jpg

that's how I did my relic blades, make the power swords clearly single-handed weapons and make the relic blades a radically different form (the sort-of Dane axe).

I use empire swords as CCW since I think the chainswords just don't fit into my army fluff (they look too necromunda and not very space-knightly). Empire swords, even the awesome ones, are very thin compared to 40k swords, making them not ideal for the stronger weapons (i know with physics and materials size doesn't mean stronger etc etc) but on the field i think relic blades should be easily seen, so it takes more than a color change to me.

that's how I did my relic blades, make the power swords clearly single-handed weapons and make the relic blades a radically different form (the sort-of Dane axe).

I use empire swords as CCW since I think the chainswords just don't fit into my army fluff (they look too necromunda and not very space-knightly). Empire swords, even the awesome ones, are very thin compared to 40k swords, making them not ideal for the stronger weapons (i know with physics and materials size doesn't mean stronger etc etc) but on the field i think relic blades should be easily seen, so it takes more than a color change to me.

Nice power axes! What did you use for the segmented wire / power cable on the guy furthest to the right (with the sword)?

I only have 1 relic blade, which I just made an insanely extended 2 handed chainsword (eviserator style) for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JustinKase/GoldenEagles/Other%20Assault/DoubleChainsword.jpg

But, I am in the process of modeling a new one, which will be a 2 handed power weapon, and I planned to paint it up with a different power aura then my standard blue power weapons.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/161/9/5/Ka_tet_and_Henchmen_by_Rindaris.jpg

I had gotten a Wraithlord sword for some random reason and had it laying around. I decided one of my honor guard needed a relic blade. A wee bit overkill... sure... but always fun to field :P

I just made my sword for Crull super long, cutting a sword half-way down, then taking the middle part from another sword and putting it togethor to make an uber-long sword. Plus, he's holding it in one-hand, so he looks really bad-ass.

ok as odd man out

the Captain of my all scout army has a knife in the sheath from the SW sprue which "counts as" his relic blade becuase he is that good with it (fluff wise-cuz in the only game with the scout army, he ate a ML in the first turn) but his main focus is his bolter with GL and helfire rounds

sorry no pics

no offense war009 but i wouldn't even consider playing against that unless I was forced to :/. Something like that where it's halfway between a decoration and a CCW is reaaaaaly stretching it in terms of visuals. might as well say a laspistol is an autocannon because the guy has really good aim!

Not saying you shouldn't do it at all but you should have a really good reason (yours is fluff, totally valid) and be prepared to explain everything over and over again and deal with people who didn't ask/didn't listen.

Archived