Most point effective units in the SM Codex?

HERO

what about sniper scouts + telion?

are they not points effective?

maybe not against horde, unless armed with a heavy bolter (wound on 2+!!! with telion's aim!!!)

but against other armies, they cause pinning, rend and telion gets to sellect targets!

I had to wait to comment on this until I got ahold of my codex but...

I don't think Telion is really worth it. Maybe its just the traitor heart talking but he costs nearly the same as 4 Sniper Scouts or he adds 33% to the cost of a full unit. That just seems like alot for a little bit of fancy shooting. His targeting specific models seems more like a novelty, sure it might work but he's only using a fancy Bolter so its not the most terrifying thing in the world really.

As a Chaos player, I see Sniper Scouts being really useful for camping objectives. No upgrades beyond the Heavy Bolter. We're talking a cheap little unit that can provide up to 12 shots out to 36", thats not too shabby. Assuming you bury them in cover, they're moderately hard to kill with a 4+/4+ save.

Sure a deep striking/Drop Podding Heavy Flamer is going to slaughter them, but it would do the same if you had all those fancy toys and upgrade characters too and this way the unit is less of a point sink when/if it does die.

My Droppod Ironclad has never failed to earn its points back; I gamble on the landing, aiming between 2 enemy units near an objective: however it drifts it's usually in range of one, HF and deathwind wreck his objective holders, melta hits the support.

Next round he's smashing things hard, and the pod ensures the terminators get in safe.

I've played Telion for half a dozen games now, and have decided to sack him. Choosing target but only a bolter just wasn't reliable enough. Now, if his targetting advice could be bundled with Voice of Experience, that would make him worth it...

Sniper Missile Launcher....yes please.

My 7 Cents.

Why the Missile Launcher? I find the Heavy Bolter with the special rounds matches up better (assuming you're taking Snipers).

The squad will either be going after light infantry or MCs and I think I'd rely more on a BS3 Blast vs a BS3 one shot weapon.

what about sniper scouts + telion?

are they not points effective?

maybe not against horde, unless armed with a heavy bolter (wound on 2+!!! with telion's aim!!!)

but against other armies, they cause pinning, rend and telion gets to sellect targets!

I don't think Telion is really worth it. Maybe its just the traitor heart talking but he costs nearly the same as 4 Sniper Scouts or he adds 33% to the cost of a full unit. That just seems like a lot for a little bit of fancy shooting. His targeting specific models seems more like a novelty, sure it might work but he's only using a fancy Bolter so its not the most terrifying thing in the world really.

I can quite safely say Telion's ability to allow the controlling player to assign the wounds rather than the opponent is definitely not just a novelty. True, he doesn't have a weapon that fires lots of dice but those heavy 2, rending and pinning shots can be targeted at specific enemy ICs and that is a threat that is certainly worth 50pts.

When the enemy hides their IC in a horde of orks for example, they usually think that he's safe and has plenty of ablative wounds to save him; think again when Telion is on the field. The same goes for those pesky heavy weapon crews/ICs in IG squads; sheer numbers no longer protect them.

I have had a number of my opponents say that they either underestimated Telion's threat or really had to think twice about doing things because of his threat. It's all about putting out as many varied dangers on the field as possible and this guy delivers in a unique way.

@minigun762.

I'd still prefer the Sniper Missile Launcher.

BS 6 that can choose who he hits and most likely kills...Icon, gone. Champion with fist or most likely entry for Greater daemon, gone. Painboy, gone.

Alas, it's not 'real' so no use wishing.

It's not just 50 points. You have to have a squad to purchase him. It's got to have enough bodies so that random shooing doesn't clip him.

And the rest of the army has to make sure a fast moving hvy flamer doesn't find them first.

My 7 Cents.

The problem with Telion is that in 5th ed, the whole rule-set strongly supports mechanised armies. With the 4th ed rules of penetrating hit = automatic disembark gone, and that non AP 1 or open-topped glancing hits having 0 chance to wreck, transports are the way to go. When every army has all his important guys in rhinos/chimeras/devilfish/wave serpents ect telion can't touch them. and guys who don't go in transports like bikes and TEQs all have such a good defense against his S4 shots at AP5 (either higher toughness or save). for 50 points you could have a multimelta attack bike. that thing has a chance to blow up land raiders, telion is only worth it if you are playing an opponant who is already probably bad

I'm going to go with Dreadnoughts and Assault Terminators. All depends on what you're facing of course, but Dreadnoughts are almost always great. They're so cheap that they can be effectively used with 2 ranged weapons, completely disregarding their CC-ability, but I think they're even better if you can get a use out of their shooting and assault ability. They fulfill some pretty unique roles in a SM army. They can potentially be invincible in assault (just avoid powerfists) and have a S10 attack. Sometimes that can make all the difference when you face some nasty assault unit that just happens to be S4...or a Necron Monolith that laughs at all your normal anti-tank weaponry.

Assault Terminators aren't cheap, but for me at least they pretty much always destroy more than their points value, and often a large percentage of the opposing army. TH/SS is obviously incredibly difficult to kill, and lightning claws are great too. With just 5 of them you can put out 20 power weapon attacks that reroll wounds on the charge...attack a nice, big, expensive squad with that and they'll have their points back in a turn or two.

but Dreadnoughts are almost always great. They're so cheap that they can be effectively used with 2 ranged weapons, completely disregarding their CC-ability,

As a Chaos player, I'll fully admit that I'm jealous of sane gun Dreads.

2 TL AutoCannons or Plasma/Missile Launchers dreads for 120ish points? I'll take 2 please!

Archived