A Question on Modifiers with Techmarines

The Black Watch

I have 2 Scenario's based on the same question and need a definitive answer. I'm pretty sure of the answer but you can always be surprised.

1. A techmarine uses bolster defences to improve the cover save offered by a fortification from 3+ to 2+. If scouts with Camo Cloaks are in the fortification do they get a 1+ cover save? Or is the max 2+?

2. A techmarine trying to repair a vehicle gets +1 to his roll for every servitor in his squad. If he has 5 servitors is it automatically repaired? Or would it be another case of 2+ max?

In the BRB on page 24 there is an entry titeled "Maximum Save". It explains that thought there might be casesd shere a save is increased by +1 oe +2, it can never be increased beyond 2+. A 1 allways fails.

The rules for Characteristic tests on page 8 also describe that a 6 is allways a failure (to test on a characteristic, e-g a "strength test", you would have to roll below the models strenght). You could argue that the repair test is not a characteristic test, but I would say it is supposed to work under the same principles.

IIRR, Tech marines only bolster one area of rubble terrain, no other types. Woods, houses, pillboxes, fences, wheat fields, etc. are not bolstered. Just rubble.

Its ruins but yeah, and as ruins can only be bolsterd once, that at least is moot (ruins are 4+, bolster makes them 3+, stealth can be added fore a 2+ but nothing goes beyond 2+)

I'm not sure with the repair bit as its a case of 1d6+x =<5 as aposed to a roll for X+. I would be inclined to conceed that with enouph servitors sucess would be automatic.

Its ruins but yeah, and as ruins can only be bolsterd once, that at least is moot (ruins are 4+, bolster makes them 3+, stealth can be added fore a 2+ but nothing goes beyond 2+)

And at this point going to ground would be pointless.

A techmarine's repair roll is not a characteristic roll as no characteristic is involved. Go back a page in your rulebook to see the definition of characteristics. I have seen no rules saying that a 1 is a failure so with enough servitors it would be automatic.

Archived