Vehicles moving through terrain (ruins, etc..)?

Toshiro

In one game my opponent moved his vindicator right through one ruin (based on rule in BRB on page 14) and ended his move with half vehicle outside and one half inside - so he can shoot and be in cover. (of course he wasn't able to place the model, so some dices represented its position)

Is this legal?

I can't find anything against moving through walls and staying halfway out the ruin.

Regarding the cover, i think, that in this case vindicator has no cover, because you see the whole facing, you are shooting at. (right?)

Bottom-line is that it's "Whatever you and your opponent agree on." If that ruin counted as "Area Terrain" then the walls are completely meaningless and, yes, any unit can just pass through them, whether it's marines cutting through with small-scale explosives, or a vindi ramming through. I would rule however that ramming through a building = a Dangerous Terrain Test for the tank. Ramming through a building is too cool to disallow in my opinion. :(

Had you ruled the terrain as "Impassible" then no, he cannot ram through the walls.

EDIT: I should say that the walls are never *completely* meaningless, as they (very obviously) block LOS. As area terrain though they do not technically prevent pass-thru.

Ruins are by definition area terain and difficult terain. If it has a base all levels are area and difficult, if it has no base then the bottom floor is neither area nor difficult. In all cases you may move through a wall, but that is ALWAYS a difficult terain test. Note that vehicles treat difficult terain as dangerous, so unless he spent the points for the seige sheild he would have to of tested for that. rules for ruins start on pg 82

Yes you target vehicles facing not the whole thing and cover requires 50% of the facing to be obscured, so if the entire front facing was out of cover then no save is provided (asuming you are shooting at the front).

I am not positive if removing the model in this fashion (to be half in and half out) is legal. I think I recall something about there having to be space to place the model to move it (though I cannot find the quote so it may be from a different edition, or even a different game). In the area terain sectoin it says that you remove the model and leave a place holder if your worried about the model falling and getting damaged, or you can remove peaces of area terain to make space for models, though I am not sure if either is applicable in this situation. Either way its okay if the players say, and I would allow it.

Archived