Praetorians

skcuzzlebumm

So its been 3/4 years since i last did marines; deathwatch terminators (probably about as long since i last posted, i tend to lurk here more than post). At the time i did a little blog here but ended up doing them in under a month due to a tourney deadline and which resulted in the blog suffered slightly with few updates etc.

This time however i intended to do it a bit better (at least i hope to).

I am also in the process of writing up a comprehensive chapter history which i will expand with little tales of heroics (and failures) once the army is ready but for now there is just pics.

This is the 1st full mini for the army and by the end of next week there will be 4 more bikers completed.

The only thing i am still thinking about is the left shoulder pad and what to paint in there. Am thinking i want to avoid the standard Tactical Markings (as my chapter doesn't really have tactical marines) and was more thinking of doing a chequered background and then some kind of heraldic design for each squad.

Or just keep it simple and paint a numeral in there.

We'll see.

But for now comments and criticism please guys:-

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/3909700483_ab20a09d78_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2576/3909700805_5b1f7f9220_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2657/3909700589_5eaf0d53c2_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2607/3909700683_f4eeab5822_o.jpg

strangely enough the former manager before his promotion of a store by my house had a "Steel Praetorians' army that looks alot like this in color just it was purple and black. o.O strange how i have now seen 3 armies with this name Praetorians' and all have purple as the main part of there colors... either way beautiful model!

Nice paint job and I really like the way you've done your purple. With a name like the Praetorians, people usually associate purple with them even though purple is Imperial for an Emperor and the Praetorians in the Republic and Praetorian Guard in the Empire didn't wear purple. Anyway, nice scheme and your painting skill does it justice.

You said you don't really have tactical marines... is it a biker chapter or just a non codex?

Cheers guys

It looks good, but isn't it a bit close to pre-heresy emperor's children?

PH-EC's would be Purple and Gold so its one colour out but then so are a lot of other chapters (one colour out of a PH traitor scheme) i.e Silver Skulls - Iron Hands.

I hate to break it to you, but the Praetorians are a fairly famous Imperial Guard Regiment...

Awesome paint job though.

I know, i actually have a box set (the orginal GW army deal from back in 97) that i am in the process of stripping. There is nothing to stop chapters/regiments sharing names. It is a BIG 40k universe with as we know 1,000 chapters and countless guard regiments. There is bound to be cross over.

Nice paint job and I really like the way you've done your purple. With a name like the Praetorians, people usually associate purple with them even though purple is Imperial for an Emperor and the Praetorians in the Republic and Praetorian Guard in the Empire didn't wear purple. Anyway, nice scheme and your painting skill does it justice.

They had purple robes, black armour and the commanders had white. Tried this as a scheme and it looked rubbish :P

You said you don't really have tactical marines... is it a biker chapter or just a non codex?

Bike heavy chapter. There are some scouts (forward spotters/recon) and Terminators (Honour Guard) in a Raider (their 'chariot') otherwise everything else is bikes, attack bikes and speeders.

Thanks again for the compliments guys.

Any suggestions on my left pad dilemma?

I'm a big fan of the IG praeotrians (even if I can never spell their name), and personally wouldn't have named a Space Marine chapter after them, but its your choice.

But they're not named after the IG unit. They are named after the Praetorian Guard from ancient Rome, just as the IG one is.

I'm a big fan of the IG praeotrians (even if I can never spell their name), and personally wouldn't have named a Space Marine chapter after them, but its your choice.

But they're not named after the IG unit. They are named after the Praetorian Guard from ancient Rome, just as the IG one is.

Hey, I said your choice.

Archived