Iron Warriors- Any units you consider compulsory fluff wise

Burias-Drak'shal

I'm considering painting a small Iron warriors army for a change and should be relatively quick, and was wondering if theres any units people consider vital to fit in the background of the army.

I'm not overly concerned about the army being ultra competitive, just that it looks good, and fits the fluff.

I have been considering vindicators, veterans, simple CSM squads, havocs, Land raiders, terminators and obliterators. I was also thinking of berserkers and plague marines,as I think these can be used for e.g hardened fighters and CSM with bionics. I cant see the other god related units fitting the theme.

Also I don't think demons (demon prince excluded), raptors or chaos bikes really fit into Iron warriors background greatly.

Would like to hear your views on this, as presently undecided.

Demons are a huge no. Like never ever ever ever. Demon prince is ok, but even in that case I wouldn't go around fielding 2 in a 1800pt game like many people do. Thats just not really fluffly at all, but IMO especially for IWs.

Units that are fluffy.

Vindicators, VERY fluffy.

Predators, fluffy.

Obliterators, VERY fluffy, the first obliterators were IWs, and many IW veterans have gained the ability to form small weapons out of their flesh, not quite obliterators, but still.

Land Raider, fluffy.

CSM squads, yes fluffy, but no marks other than the mark of glory. For weapons I've always seen meltas as being fluffy. If you want the army to 'look' like IWs what I do is give all my Power Fist champions servo arms. They make an IW specific servo arm that looks great and really gives your army an IW look. I also like to buy the warmsith model, and take his parts and mismatch the parts with various other models, especially my champions. Thats where I get my servo arms, and the model just looks really good, and the peices fit other models just fine. Plus you get a combi melta.

In apoc games you want a basilisk, even though we can't take them anymore in regular games they are about as fluffy as you can get for IWs.

Anything that is a tank is good. Dreads are also fluffy, but not really fieldable right now. Defilers are debatable. My biggest problem with the defiler for IWs is that it was created by Abbadon. Perturabo is a 'whole whole lot smarter' when it come to technology than abbadon. Personally I take defilers, but all of mine have been converted into small titans, they stand up, and have large carapaces so look the part. By the way, titans also very fluffy for IWs.

Raptors and bikes are ok, but not really that fluffy. IWs don't use a lot of fast attack.

On your note about fielding cult units as special IWs.

Actually IWs did use to ally with bezerkers for their dedicated assault troops, so of all the cult units bezerkers are the easiest to get away with, and in the old IA IWs could field bezerkers. Even with the 3.5 codex I would field bezerker models in my IW army, they were just chaos marines with furious charge, but I felt it was a fluffy unit to have so I did.

Plague marines as cyborgs. I haven't done it, but I want to. For bits look at the Iron Hand bits if they still exist, they were great for making bionic warriors. That and the IW warsmith model has some bionics as well. His parts and IH parts combined would have a good IW bionic feel.

Thousand Sons, this is another idea I've been wanting to do, but haven't. Ok I just mentioned some IWs have gained the ability to form weapons like obliterators but aren't obliterators 'yet'. I've considered fielding TSs as mini obliterators to represent those warriors. I was going to take regular marines and green stuff weapons forming out of their hands. The slow and purposful, in combination with ap3 weapons, and an inv save is similar to an obliterator. The sorcerer would just have doombolt or bolt of change and be the one that has progressed into obliteratordom the most. Also considered having him be a normal sorcerer w/ gift of chaos, and give him a little needle gun and say he infects people with the techno virus(what creates obliterators) to represent creating spawns.

Hope that all helps. Need anything IW related I'll be glad to help. Just PM me.

On the Thousand Sons IW "counts as " here's my idea .

It is accepted that IW do not tolerate mutation , hence the widespread use of bionics ( it was even mentioned in the previous codex that their possessed were some kind of techno-monstrosities with daemonically enhanced bionics ) .

Well , not all IW make the cut and some are mutated beyond repair ... but not beyond future use !!!

The defiled by extreme mutation bodies of these , then , are given to the dark mechanicus buddies of the IW ( their close affiliation with Traitor Titan Legions certainly points to some stable connections between the Dark Mechanicus priesthood and IW ) , are lobotomized and transformed into some kind of advanced battle servitors , almost mindless ( slow and purposeful ) , but able to shake off severe damage - due to their previously enhanced body and present experimental work ( AP 3 weapons ) of the dark mechanicus priest and adepts - as they are almost alive , but not quite ( 4+ inv ) . As expected , the formerly IW , presently - almost mindless - automata/dark mechanicum abominations , would perform better under the command of the dark mechanicus agent that leads them to battle ( the sorcerer commands ) and slightly poorly on their own.

I haven't gotten around into breathing life into the "dark mechanicus abominations " but the initial conversion idea revolves around robotic models with a vague resemblance to marines ( the term "abomination " is key here ) , while for the "sorcerer " a "corrupted" tech marine will work just fine , as long as he's "armed " with " warp weaponry " such as is the Doombolt or the Bolt of Change , or even the wind of Chaos , which should be properly modeled onto his servo harness . My initial vision is about a uniform appearance of the IW "rubrics " ( with minor tweaks here and there ) to imply a production line in their creation , rather than unique experiments on each mutated IW . This is after all , how the dark mechanicus would do it : methodically , optimally , precisely and painfully .

What do you think of this ? Too far stretched ? Too complex ? Hope you like it .

*edit* And on that note , where could I find some Dark Mechanicum iconography ?

I like it. It will only be to complex if you let it.

These are dark mechanicum battle servitors using advanced shields and weaponry.... they count as thousand sons. Leave it at that and you will be ok.

Also another quick question-

Do you think it look better to have havoc missle launchers on the rhino, rather than the bolters, as it adds to the artillery feel to the army?

I don't personally.

1. rhinos should be going full speed until they drop off their cargo and firing smoke, so there is 1 or 2 turns you won't be firing it.

2. I think rhinos are better off cheap, the only upgrades I consider are defensive upgrades(extra armor and dozer blades).

3. Rhinos do not like to get shot at. Havok launchers actually pose somewhat of a threat and draw enemy fire. The scary thing about a rhino is whats inside, not the rhino itself. The least scary looking rhino in an army is normally the scariest. I would put the havok launcher on a daka predator instead.

If you do want an artillery or siege feel one thing I have done is get the really big leman russ or vindicator dozer blades and mount them on rhinos. Makes them look like they are meant to be big battering rams and crush threw walls.

On a side note... shoulding dozer blades help you when ramming?

Provided that you can field a list that has enough " IW 1k sons " in it ( about 2 9-man strong troops would be perfect ) , you could always buy them the rhino with a havoc launcher instead of extra armor but do not embark the "sons" , and enjoy the methodical advancement both of units , firing as they approach the enemy ( 6"rhino movement - Havoc Launcher AND twin linked bolter S4 defensive weapon ) . Well, at least as soon as they are in 24"range .

I'm pretty sure it's not that effective , but for sure looks extremely cool and fits perfectly with the Iron Warriors thing .

Imagine a slowly 6" moving torrent of fire , don't forget the obliterators and the vindicators . I'd love to see it against a pure boyz list ( well the ap 3 bolter is useless against them but it is the slow and purposefull effect I'm after here )

A truly wonderfull sight , all the better if you have converted appropriately your 1k sons for the IW theme .

If only it could be slightly more effective ... you see the 1ksons will die horrbile deaths against a randomly selected I.G. list ( you know , roll a die , close your eyes and pick , such methods of list building ). While they can take some low ap fire and shrug it of ( ap3 or lower blast weapons / shots ) , they cannot outrange nor outgun a 30 guardsmen sqaud using first rank fire second rank fire . They will be shred by a tsunami of dice rolls .

But if you are looking for style and "awesomness" in a fun game this is a fine way to go .

For similar super-shooty reasons ( slightly differently themed/converted ) you may well try this approach with Noise Marines tooled up with sonic weaponry . Again , not proposed for brutal competitive games .

But I'd rather field it with "robots" . You know , it's the slow and purposeful thing that really does it for me in this IW vision of mine .

On that note , has anyone ever used succesfully in 5th edition a(any) thousand sons unit(s) in high power chaos builds ? Hmm... I'll search it right away .

P.S. : Does a dozer blade counts as " hull " , meaning , does it make the rhino " longer " ? It should be about an inch I think .

I'd definitely add Terminators to the list one day.

Termies are extremely fluffy for IW and beyond that they are actually a -good- unit for Chaos to take, so why not?

I always viewed the Termies as the old ones... the Iron Warriors that possibly stood on the steps of Terra and knocked the walls down. I think of Forrix as the idealistic IW Termie: Ancient, efficient, strategist, war torn, and battle hardened.

I always viewed the Termies as the old ones... the Iron Warriors that possibly stood on the steps of Terra and knocked the walls down. I think of Forrix as the idealistic IW Termie: Ancient, efficient, strategist, war torn, and battle hardened.

I agree very much so, which is why its funny that Terminators are mostly used in semi-suicidal roles.

But I guess with great risk comes great reward right?

CSM squads, yes fluffy, but no marks other than the mark of glory. For weapons I've always seen meltas as being fluffy. If you want the army to 'look' like IWs what I do is give all my Power Fist champions servo arms. They make an IW specific servo arm that looks great and really gives your army an IW look. I also like to buy the warmsith model, and take his parts and mismatch the parts with various other models, especially my champions. Thats where I get my servo arms, and the model just looks really good, and the peices fit other models just fine. Plus you get a combi melta.

Can we still get ahold of those servo arms?

I have been creating the first steps to a "Techmarine gone bad" list. I was going to use the Thousand Son rules for his robot army. Techmarine without harness for a Sorcerer. Harness goes on a Grey Knight Terminator with a varity of weapons for an Obliterator (I love the idea of a Techmarine killing a GKT somehow and stealing his armour). For the Aspiring Sorcerers, I have Techpriest Enginseers. For the Thousand Sons, I'm using Doghouse's tutorial for bigger marines with Necron Torsos and I'm still trying to perfect the weapon, currently bolters though. The idea here is the Techmarine has stolen dead space marine bodies and reanimated them. I am going to be using Servitors as Lesser Daemons though. I thought that would be a fluffy answer.

I'm not sure how this will help an Iron Warriors army, but the ideas seemed similair.

Predators suit the theme nicely too.

But there is no reason there wouldn't be some Raptors or Chaos Bikes in their armies if you feel like it. But if you start with the units you mentioned already, you'll have a large army anyway.

Raptors are NOT fluffy. In a Night Lords army, they are, but not in an IW one.

Bikes don't fit in either.

Archived