need help explaining multiple combats

a-nesuto

Tell them to completely ignore the 1st bullet point on page 41 (as it's irrelevant except for extremely rare circumstances) and instead focus on the 2nd bullet. That should clear it up.

The 1st bullet only refers to the following situation:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/mod/engaged.png

Let's say the green dot to the right of the "x" dot is a model with a higher initiative. All green dots have higher initiatives than the red or blue dots. Alright.

The higher initiative green dude kills both of the blue dudes. Here is where that 1st bullet point kicks in: the X dude, who hasn't yet gone, cannot now turn around to attack the red dudes, even though he's within 2" of a friendly in base contact. He was in base with the blues, but since they're gone, he's stumbling around now with no attacks. Get it?

This has only happened in my games once out of 150ish 5th edition games. Hence, I find it extremely rare.

Any model that is engaged after the assult and defender responds moves may attack the units its engaged with, rules for being engaged are

If the model is in base to base combat it is engaged with the unit which is is in contact with

If it is not in btb but with 2" of something that is in BtB it is engaged with those models

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1958/multiassult.th.jpg

Marine one may only direct attacks at green enemy, marine 2 may attack red or green, marine 3 may only attack red, marine 4 may attack either. Remember this is determined after all moves but before any attacks. If marines 2 and 4 kill all of red before marine 3 attacks (maybe 3 has a powerfist and is at I1), then marine 3 may not attack, as he has no targets that where eligable at the start.

Archived