Sons of Russ

Emperor's Scourge

It's really not that bad, I know with my wolves at one point people would stare and say "are those space marines or lumps plastic covered in 100 layers of paint?" Anyways I would recommend not doing whatever you did with the purple on the arms, but it's been so long since I last painted a space wolf that I cant really give much advice. Keep working on it.

edit: also use a needle or a tooth pick when doing green stuff fur, gives you more detail.

Thanks for the input man. Yeah I definitely should have used a toothpick or pin. I was just using the GW sculpt tool and it was not up to the job. The purple was a wash I was trying to repeat the step from a tutorial in another thread here...forget the author's name...but my skills were definitely not up to his. Still haven't worked out glazing and what not.

I'll try to post some better pics of the converted dude a bit later in the day...i have some green stuff pics before priming the guy too. This is just to convert the marines I've already built. I definitely plan on buying the upgrade sprues, but I figured they wouldn't work out so well with guys I'd already assembled.(about three tact squads one scout squad and two termie squads)

Just received my Space Wolf Captain w/ Wolf Claws mini in the mail. He's definitely going to make a nice Wolf Guard, but I want to work out my painting first rather than ruin such a great sculpt.

• 2 months later...

Ok.. Your Paints moving in the right direction..

But What is the Greenstuff loincloth supposed to be?.. Leather? fur? cloth? Honestly I think It would Better if we could took another crack at That.. A number of extremely Talented People on this forum have posted alot of tips and tricks that May work for you.. Or if you Like, I know a few simple little tricks that may help you out..

But What ever you choose I think You will be Much happier if you give it another go..

The bp/cs marine's really just a tester model since he was supposed to be a blood claw and I later decided that I didn't like blood claws in my army list.

I agree on the loincloth. It was supposed to be fur, but I wasn't using the proper tools so it came out like crap. Then I went and painted it in a poor fashion so he's got it from both angles. I'll have to take it off and continue refining or something.

Thanks for the comment.

I must agree on the loincloth as well, looks like some split-open diaper to me (no offense, just to "blubby").

What I suggest is using the GW sculpt tool, using the pointy end sticking it into the GS while soft from below in order to make it look like the fur is nice and, well, furry :)

You can take a look here how I GS my wolves:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=184393

If you have any questions, fire away :P

I think he looks cool even with the loin cloth.. Leave him be and start on the next marine eh? You've also done the eyes very well.

This is how well I can paint a wolf. Also theres nothing wrong with striving to be a better painter but you've got to have fun as well yes? Obviously I used practically no techniques other then thin paint (some might argue against that). With your gold and yellow I suggest using colours underneath before you paint the colour like snake bite leather. That way it gives it a base to work from.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/kilianjay/P1010503.jpg

With every marine you will get better, and have fun otherwise you wont finish your army.

• 1 month later...

Some advice I can give you, is to thin your paints, and use the tiniest brush practical for whatever area your'e painting. Other than that, I would suggest using, or at least trying white primer, unless your painting dark colors, black makes it harder to get the color solid, and results in you putting the paint on too thick, or too many coats of it, making the model look "gummy" and having the details filled.

Something else that can cause that, is spraying the primer on too thick or too close, remember, spray in bursts, 6 to 10" away from the model, and only cover it until it doesn't look speckled with the primer.

Hope that helps :no:

Recent priming is much better that the first attempt shown to be fair... try to aim for some point between that wolf guard and grey hunter.

as for that white primer suggestion, unless you can find a nice brand that ISN'T citadel, I'd avoid it. Citadel white primer has... issues with consistency. sometimes it's great, other times it will will leave a chalky texture to the mini, and its very finicky with weather.

But yes, using smallest brush you can without going insane, making sure brush is slightly damp before obtaining paint, removing excess paint before applying to mini, and keeping a large cup of water to clean brushes in will improve quality faster than you know it.

Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it.

I try to thin my paints, but perhaps you're right and the layers I put on to make up for the darkness is making the thinning redundant.

I've tried white primer and it ruined a few models because of how chalky and cakey it turned out. I've recently quit using the GW primer and this new one is working out well so far so I might try white out again using this brand.

Just for clarification sake, the grey hunter was primed BEFORE the Wolf Guard. Wolf Guard was primed yesterday. Started painting the bare head Grey Hunter today. You guys think the WG prime coat looks too thick? Its been really cold here lately so I've had to spray outside and bring the models inside to dry. Think I did up the WG a bit too thick too. Its a shame because I like how it turned out when I assembled it.

Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it.

I try to thin my paints, but perhaps you're right and the layers I put on to make up for the darkness is making the thinning redundant.

I've tried white primer and it ruined a few models because of how chalky and cakey it turned out. I've recently quit using the GW primer and this new one is working out well so far so I might try white out again using this brand.

Just for clarification sake, the grey hunter was primed BEFORE the Wolf Guard. Wolf Guard was primed yesterday. Started painting the bare head Grey Hunter today. You guys think the WG prime coat looks too thick? Its been really cold here lately so I've had to spray outside and bring the models inside to dry. Think I did up the WG a bit too thick too. Its a shame because I like how it turned out when I assembled it.

Yes cold will make the primer thick, and any paint for that matter. If you decide to bring it inside, keep the area well ventilated and wear some sort of mask. I do everything in my garage, so it gets really cold, and i myself utilise the jet engine style propane heaters, with the window cracked open. BUT BUT BIG BUTT! If you have something like that, dont put them directly in front of it or the air flow at any point. Spray is flammable, and it would screw with it like no other. When i first started, I had to prime them outside (I used black primer at the time), and so to speed up the drying, I set my sisters hair dryer on the ground and put the models in front of it. I eventually realised this made the primer even more gummy and melt the models. (Ironically, I found that out when it melted a marines melta gun so it looked like a wet noodle in his arms, quite literally :) )

Nice attempt with the washes, but might I recommend you try and be a little more controlled/refined with your washes? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was my Wolves that you were emulating with the purple wash, which you now switched to what looks like Devlan Mud.

I've actually recorded a series videos (each about 9-10 min) of me painting a pair of Space Wolves from start to finish, might interest you (and it's basically me going through the tutorial step by step). The first four are downloads, hence the file size. The rest are Youtube clips.

Step 1 - Preparation (14 MB)

Step 2a - Codex Grey (21.7 MB)

Step 2b - Fortress Grey (25.4 MB)

Step 2c - Preliminary Weathering (19.4 MB)

Step 3: Washes and Feathering

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Details:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Finishing up:

Part 1

Part 2

Other than that, practice practice practice.

For Russ and the Allfather!

DV8

You're right the first test assault marine I was using leviathan purple as a wash as per your original pictorial tutorial, but I didn't achieve results even near yours so I gave up. Switched to Devlan because it seemed like an easier wash to use for my current skill level.

I saw you post your vid tutorial and although I haven't had a chance to watch it yet I did bookmark it. I don't have an airbrush though unfortunately.

BTW thanks for being so helpful on these boards DV8. A lot of folks wouldn't take the time to write up tutorials and give advice.

Although, there seems to be a higher concentration of helpful criticism on this board in general which is why I post my WIP here. I'm new to the hobby and I realize the only way to improve is by learning from my mistakes.

• 1 month later...

Archived