Vehicles and Culexus

According to the rules for the Culexus, any unit wishing to shoot or charge the blasted thing must take a Ld test. However, vehicles have no Ld characteristic. Then what? Are they not allowed to shoot or(in the case of walkers) assault it? Or do you go by the Crew entry and just use the stats for a regular Joe in the army, f.eks a Space Marine at Ld 8?

The argument my opponent used was that vehicles, for all intents and purposes, are units. Of 1 or more vehicles. And thus must test, using the standard Ld of the crew. This "going around" the argument you used, which I too tried. In the end, we just rolled off.

As an aside, my Pred made the test, but missed the shot.

Vehicles do not make leadership checks, period.
Well, I know of at least one case when they do. The Glamour of Tzeentch, a daemons special power. However, the power assigns a leadership value to the vehicle: "In this case, the unit must take a Leadership test (vehicles are affected too, but count as Ld 10)."

Well, I know of at least one case when they do. The Glamour of Tzeentch, a daemons special power. However, the power assigns a leadership value to the vehicle: "In this case, the unit must take a Leadership test (vehicles are affected too, but count as Ld 10)."

True, but the unlike the rules for Glamour of Tzeentch the Culexus's Etherium ability does not specify that vehicles are affected or state what the vehicle's effective leadership is for purposes of taking the test.

True, but the unlike the rules for Glamour of Tzeentch the Culexus's Etherium ability does not specify that vehicles are affected or state what the vehicle's effective leadership is for purposes of taking the test.

Yes, wich is why this would be an extrapolation from precident. If you and your opponent feel that it would be proper for vehicles to test than this is the best guideline that can be given as the rules are over the course of a couple editions.

Yes, wich is why this would be an extrapolation from precident. If you and your opponent feel that it would be proper for vehicles to test than this is the best guideline that can be given as the rules are over the course of a couple editions.

If you wanted to extrapolate, Chaos's Glamour of Tzeentch and the Grey Knight Aegis both indicate that vehicles are at Ld 10 for the purposes of those rules. Therefore, if the Culexus effected vehicles, precedent says that would probably test leadership on Ld 10.

However, by RAW the Culexus's ability has no effect on vehicles since it doesn't note an exception to the standard rule that vehicles have no Ld characteristic and never take Ld tests, while Glamour and Aegis both note this exception to the rules.

I think the best way to come up with something is to go back to the edition in which the book was printed. 3rd or 4th, I don't remember. I checked 4th, and I found that vehicles automatically pass Ld checks for target priority. In this case, it's obvious that they take Ld checks (at least for priority, if not anything else), but normally always pass them. I didn't check far enough to see what other Ld checks "could be involved" with vehicles, but I didn't think there were any more. The Culexus entry wouldn't have needed to say (as entries do now) that vehicles have a Ld value, since they always pass any Ld checks.

I think the best way to come up with something is to go back to the edition in which the book was printed. 3rd or 4th, I don't remember. I checked 4th, and I found that vehicles automatically pass Ld checks for target priority. In this case, it's obvious that they take Ld checks (at least for priority, if not anything else), but normally always pass them. I didn't check far enough to see what other Ld checks "could be involved" with vehicles, but I didn't think there were any more. The Culexus entry wouldn't have needed to say (as entries do now) that vehicles have a Ld value, since they always pass any Ld checks.

That was pretty much exactly my point; since the Culexus entry doesn't specify anything different, vehicles do not have to take an Ld test to shoot at the Culexus (or they just auto-pass any test they have to make; the difference is semantic).

Archived