Devastators vs Tyranids.

MalevolentMc

Okay.. So I have a friend who plays Tyranids, and pretty effectively too against my Marines on a constant basis.

After several games of me getting completely stomped in all aspects of the game, shooting and assaulting.. hell even movement.

I got pretty annoyed as it felt as if the Tyranids we're night unbeatable.

So i thought of ways that i could get to killing them, and got a devastator squad to do some dirty work.

But i had to look over the 'nid codex to be sure I wasn't missing something in the rules interpretations.

Synapse says that all models under it's affects are immune to instant death with 2x weapon strength.

So does that mean that the wounds are negated? As they are completely dropped and ignored?

Or does that mean that he just get's to save as normal ?

And if that's the case, wouldn't that inturn be negated by the weapons AP?

So they would infact .. die/or take a wound anyway?

The rules say a failed save equals an instant death for 2x strength value weapons.. but if the weapons AP is originally lower then their save, couldn't I just claim the kill first and just knock a wound off of multi wound targets?

Sorry if it's confusing..

But I want to kill his 'nids.

-MMC

Actualy that rule has been erratad to be imune to all forms of instant death, so force weapon attacks and that special character that beheads things only deal one wound. Either they still take a wound, as oposed to strait out dieing, unless the model itself only has one wound then it does die, cus it lost its only wound. The ap of the weapon has no effect on this.

yeah just ignore the instant death part and treat it like any other wound. Also if instant d eath was mattering (for example if you end up fighting nobz, or a chapter master or something) it works only if they fail (or cannot make) thier save.

So lets say you throw a krak missle (str8 ap3) vs a space marine captain, your roll to hit, roll to wound (2+), and then he gets to save (your ap will beat his armor, but he still has an inv save or a cover save, unless he has terminator armor or artifacer armor then he gets 2+ armor save) if you make the wound, and he fails the save, he die regarless of how many wounds he has left. IF you throw that krak missle at a warior and he fails the save (they cant get an inv save, so only cover saves are open) he just takes one wound. If you shoot the same missle vs a lictor outside of synapse range he will get his cover save (lictors get a cover save even in the open), but if he fails that he dies, regardless of remaning wounds.

As said above, Instant Death only applies to multi-wound models (like Warriors), and it infers that a model that takes an Instant Death wound (and fails its invuln or cover save), loses all of its wounds. If a model is immune to Instant Death, then it still takes its wounds as normal, but cannot die by a single Instant Death wound alone. It doesn't shrug off anything, it just doesn't allow the model to be gibbed from a single Instant Death wound.

If you are having trouble with Nid swarms, I recommend some pie plates like Whirlwinds and putting some heavy armor, like a LRC, in its path. That forces them to focus their Zilla Nids on them, while you blast away at their Stealers and Gaunts. Speeders I have found are exceptionally effective against Nids, especially with Heavy Flamers mounted. Aim the pies and the LRC at their smaller units, use your heavier stuff to knock wounds off of the big guys (Tyrants, Fexes), and have the speeders flank the table and wipe their flame-bait Gaunts with some Heavy Flamer tears :D.

Archived