Space Marine Uber Dread/War Walker/Thing

Rottimus

Hello,

Some Background info to start off: As a childhood fan of Battletech I couldn't pass up the oppurtunity to give this a go.

I haven't come up with a name for it yet but It's a concept I've thought of for a long while. I wanted to give my army some firepower, a centrepiece that looks good. Now, I'm not the best converter or modeller which is good because my style (when it comes to war on a tiny scale aka wh40k) is brutal and efficient, no fancy stuff.... I think this model reflects that. It's meant to looks ugly, but ugly in a kind of scary way if you know what I mean.

So am in need of some Advice in terms of weapon loadout. Any C&C is always welcome!

Anyway Here goes

This is as far as I've come. Take a look and see what you think.

gallery_34407_4052_88984.jpg

The cockpit opens up to reveal a techmarine pilot

gallery_34407_4052_116797.jpg

Another Interior shot.

gallery_34407_4052_96353.jpg

As you can see It's still very WIP. There's lots to do, clean up the lines, GS the gaps etc etc. What I need it advice on weapons loadout. What I've got available are the following:

gallery_34407_4052_99381.jpg

My ideas are as follows. I've ordered a set of delicious punisher cannons from FW and plan to use them on the arms.

Assault cannons on the belly, and Rocket launchers on the shoulders. There are options, the lascannons and the heavy flamers.... where could they go? Maybe Lascannons on the shoulders, flamers on the belly..

Please excuse the terrible paint skillz :tu:

gallery_34407_4052_55244.jpg

I think it's a cool bot but take it easy on the weapons, 3 weapon pairs is more than enough. the punisher cannons sound cool, add assault cannons and I would stop there. adding even more dakka is just over the top.

but like i said cool sofar

Mel

I think some kind of "head" for the mech is missing, but it's just a personal opinion...

Looking very good, the arms reminds me Mechwarrior games.

Maybe should you remove the heretic symbol (chaos cross) on the knees' side too.

Very nice. Though I would magnetise the belly weapons. So it's main weapons would be two Punisher Cannons and two Rocket Launchers, and it's secondary weapons would be a option of twin linked assault cannons or lascannons, or heavy flamers or etc, etc. Also, if you do this, I would purchase razorback lascannons, as they might be more in scale with the heavy flamer and assault cannons.

Though do not change the punisher cannons and rocket launchers. I feel they make up an iconic silhouette for the vehicle.

Looks good! I second magnetizing the sub weapons and limiting your setup to three twin linked weapons(hey, it's enough for a land raider, right?).

Punisher cannon and typhoon launcher should give it plenty of all around punch, allowing the sub weapon to be selected from a list will let you tailor it for whatever environment you deploy it in. I'm curious to know if you're using the punisher cannon as is, rolling up some stats of your own, or counting them as something from the SM arsenal(twin linked autocannon with 4-6 shots perhaps?)?

I'd suggest running it as a regular walker, perhaps AV14, 13, 12 or sommat. Destroyer weapons will still KO you, but you won't have to overcost it so much and you won't feel the need to classify it as a super heavy(but it will still be a fire magnet that is effective while it's on the board!). If you do go the super heavy route, don't go overboard, as so many do(zomg, 9 structure points and spews 15 strength D templates of doom, in a compact hard to target package!).

I recommend using or building an optics assembly as seen on the sponson weapons on the land raider, to give the model some sort of a more realistic sensor cluster(for infared, laser rangefinders and target designators or whatever.), and perhaps a small radome on the top to round it out.

And a searchlight/headlight assembly.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

Magnetizing sounds like a great idea.

As for parts rundown that will be hard but I'll definately give it a go. The feet were the trickiest bit to get right and I'm still not 100% happy with them.

LEGS: Defiler legs + plasticard. I make the feet from scratch using bits of sprue. (i'll get some pictures up of that soon)

The groin area was made from the botton hinge bits of a drop pod combined with the torso attachement from the Defiler.

BODY: The body is actually scratch built from sprue bits. I built a cage of the shape I wanted and them covered it in plasticard before attaching GW bits like

the panel from a baneblade (big eagle on his chest) and bits and pieces from an old rhino. Most of it is either sprue or bits of new and old rhino cut to fit.

I'm still working on the engine and the arms. If anyone has any ideas about the arms I'd love to hear them. Attaching punisher cannons is going to be a challenge

If you could beg, borrow, or steal the powerplant bitz from a land raider that might work. Failing that, some sort of similar coweled arrangment with top venting exhausts would work. Something utilizing the blowers from a vindicator sprue would also work great.

For the arms, you could use some sort of armored shoulderpad, dropping down to the weapon mount(either in the style of the regular dread, or something more along the lines of a tau battlesuit or gundam), a simple pivot arm ala Timberwolf/madcat, or mount them on some sort of stubby weapon pylon as the apache gunship.

ok this is brilliant any chance of a scale shot?

i like this alot and might have to copy this. ;)

but i think that the view port needs to be a head maybe from the defiler?

just my 2cents il be tracking this with great intrest kkep up the good work

great start very menacing and imperial

my comment is that the weapons wont be big enough

my suggestions would be

Rocket Launchers: whirlwind ones? the missiles may not be the shape you are looking for but youve definately shown you can scratch build ;)

Lascannons: thos ones might be alright but dreadnought or land raisder ones would be better suited to the scale (or IG heavy weapon squads) they would provide HB, LC etc and keeping the rivitted imperial look

for assault cannons there arent many bigger other than dreadnoughts or Baal predators and those are metal (unless they have updated the kit?)

Ok.

Not quite sure what an MIU is (Machine interface Unit?) but I like the current set up...

I'll repaint the cables as they aren't meant to be levers. It's meant to look like the kind of set up the Mecha things had in the Matrix 3.

• 1 year later...

I reckon the arms would look best done in the style of the old Space Crusade dreadnought - stubby pylons with pivot mounts hanging from them ( http://www.solegends.com/citrt/spacecrusadedreads.htm )

The Typhoon Missile Launchers are perfect, though. Less sure about the FW Punishers - they're very long, they'll make the 'mech look mis-matched and might interfere with other models (such as Marine Sargeants with back banners, or jetbikes)

I'd have to second seeing about a scale shot. If it's tall enough I'd like to steal the idea for a couple of knight titans or even for a true scale Drednought basis.

Otherwise looks like it will be an awesome model regardless! Keep up the work!

Archived