Sponsons Minimum Range

minigun762

The end of the barrel.

Haha, ok maybe I wasn't clear in the question. :tu:

I meant, how close can you get to a target and still be able to draw LOS from both sponsons if you're facing it.

Because at a certain distance, your LOS is going to run into your hull, stopping you from targetting the unit.

The end of the barrel.

Haha, ok maybe I wasn't clear in the question. :P

I meant, how close can you get to a target and still be able to draw LOS from both sponsons if you're facing it.

Because at a certain distance, your LOS is going to run into your hull, stopping you from targetting the unit.

Take a piece of string or laser pointer or something else like that. Then run it along the barrel and to the target.

If you can 'see' it, then you can shoot at it, if it's blocked by your own hull, then go ahead and shoot, but you'll take a hit on your own tank :D

Anyway, that's how we play it...

Mine are on the rear, but honestly it doesn't seem to change due to having two barrels. The Predator's one barrel allows for a little greater swing. I suppose on the front mount though they might get a little better.

If you're firing at a single, 25mm based model, for the predator it's ~8", for the land raider ~22".

Wow, that's a LOT farther than I'd realized for a Land Raider. I might have to start being a little more stubborn when my opponents fire their lascanons at my infantry and actually check their fire arc.

If you're firing at a single, 25mm based model, for the predator it's ~8", for the land raider ~22".

Thanks Seahawk, thats what I was looking for. :(

I think Seahawk has his weapons positioned on the rear slots of the LR... but you can fit them to the front ones (I do). That should reduce the minimum range drastically.

I do hope putting them up front shortens that distance though, thats almost 50% of their range, which sucks.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3930492850_2d084d72ed_o.jpg

A quick rendering shows that at least one sponson can target any unit that is in front of the LR and about 4 inches wide so 0 inches. Now you would only get one hit if that same unit was an inch to the left (or right) but it is a possibility. If a 25 mm based single model fig is about 19 inches away you would get to roll for two hits (and re-roll misses) with the twin-linked lascannons. If that single figure moved within 37 cm (14.75 inches) they could not be in sight of either sponson.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3930492850_2d084d72ed_o.jpg

A quick rendering shows that at least one sponson can target any unit that is in front of the LR and about 4 inches wide so 0 inches. Now you would only get one hit if that same unit was an inch to the left (or right) but it is a possibility. If a 25 mm based single model fig is about 19 inches away you would get to roll for two hits (and re-roll misses) with the twin-linked lascannons. If that single figure moved within 37 cm (14.75 inches) they could not be in sight of either sponson.

Great visual aid! :D

I'm surprised too that moving the sponsons up didn't make more of a difference.

At what sized target? And with/without the hull granting the target a cover save?

'

Actually, that's a very interesting pint when you combine it with the visual aid provided in the thread.

In the displayed situation, the unit would get a cover save from each sponson's shot, due to the weapon not being able to draw LOS to 50% of the unit.

Such a thing makes a Landraider very unappealing for killing infantry in close. Even hurricane bolters with their storm of shots would give lowly Ork Boyz cover saves in such a setup. Hmmmm.

I apologize for the slight off topic, but:

I see quite a few people moving sponsons up to get this advantage, but from what I can tell, you can't exit out of two different doors and maintain coherency in this setup. I find it far more effective to be able to pile my terms out of the front hatch and the side door and still be able to fire my rear sponson.

I have not measured the distance from the rear door, around the sponson, to the front door though. Can you maintain coherency around the sponson if you disembark out of the two different doors?

The original Land raiders had forward mounted sponsons. I think it makes more sense as well...who in their right mind is going to disembark directly in front of a tanks main weapon during a battle...?

I think many of us are putting the sponsons in the front for fluff reasons, not to gain an advantage on the tabletop.

• 2 months later...
I agree with Drakus. There are a lot of good reasons to put the sponsons on the front, not all of which involve actual in-game advantages (though some of them do). I put mine on the front. I honestly think they look better that way.

Archived