Psychic Powers and shooting phase

Cesta

Hi :devil:

I've recently begun playing warhammer 40K and i would appreciate some help to understand some rules i'm not sure of and this seems the right place to get help :P.

I currently play CSM using sometimes Princes with Lash as hq.

My problem isthat i don't understand well how am i supposed to use the power.

In the Rules i found i must use it during the shooting phase to a maximum distance of 24''.

my doubts are:

1) if i play with night rules should i roll the dice to see if my prince actually see the targeted unit?

2) can i cast it on engaged unit? (i suppose so reading the faqs but i'm not sure :S)

3) can my princes cast it if engaged in combat? if not why?

4) can i cast it on an engaged enemy unit containing an indipendent character in order to change positions to the miniatures in the enemy unit?

5) is it considered a shooting attack?

6) for the line of sight i should use the head of the prince as starting point from where to trace the line?

Thank you for you help :) and i hope i posted in the correct section of the forum :)

1) yes, think of it like a really weird pistol- you roll to see if you can target the unit.

2) Im not sure actually, but I beleive you cannot, simply because you cannot shoot into CC. However, the wording leaves it open more than Id like, so Im willing to listen to wiser heads.

3) No, because he cant use a shooting power while engaged in CC- thats in the BRB.

4) IF you can cast into assault, yes. If not... no.

5) Yes, thats why its done in leau if shooting.

6) The head works, or one of the arms... Id just measure from the front of the base to keep it simple and reliable.

You posted just right.

thank you for answering ;)

about the second question i've read in the faqs about lash and it states that a targeted unit cannot be moved out of combat through the use of lash.. which seems to me to imply that i should be able somehow to cast on unit already engaged.

that's the think i understand least.. since i believed it should have been considered as a shooting attack but faqs seems to state otherwise.

thank you again for help :)

Let's put it this way...you could shoot it at a unit that is engaged in close combat, as per the FAQ. BUT, you can't move those models. MOving them would breakt hem out of close combat, and you can't do that. So, there's really no point to using it on a unit engaged in close combat.

6) for the line of sight i should use the head of the prince as starting point from where to trace the line?

Page 16 of the core rule book addresses this directly: third paragraph of "Check Line of Sight and Pick a Target" section.

"Line of sight must be traced from the eyes of the firing model to any part of the body of at least one of the models in the target unit (for 'body' we mean its head, torso, legs, and arms)."

As this psychic power works as a Shooting power, this is how you draw LOS for it (and in general). =)

Could you move them around in that combat? Move an IC so he is (or is no longer) in BtB with your unit/IC but still in that combat. Or something along these lines.

I'd say no. Disengaging the opposing IC from one part of the combat and into another would still be removing him from combat. For example, say you've got an opposing tactical squad with attached librarian locked with your Plague Marines and Sorceror. The Libby and Sorceror are based to one another, and the tacticals are based with boththe Sorceror and Plague Marines. You couldn't move the Librarian away from the Sorceror, because that would be breaking his base contact, and altering the makeup of the combat. The Libby could no longer direct his attacks at the Sorceror, and vice versa, essentially removing them from combat with one another.

Atleast that's how I read it. Maybe others could give you a better citation on why this is legal/illegal.

Archived